daughter hostialized twice for suicidal intentions- im grieving

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager

Re: daughter hostialized twice for suicidal intentions- im grieving

Hi @sunflowermom,

It's fantastic to hear that things are going well with you and your daughter. Thank you for updating us Smiley Happy

In regards to your daughter smoking pot, it can be difficult for anyone to break habits and it's great that you can express your concerns to your daughter. Have you already done this or is it something you are looking to do? I hope that the conversations go well for you both. Smiley Happy 

Contributor

Hi @Jay-RO

I will continue to have that conversation with her in regards to pot.  I will not nag daily about it but I will talk about it on a weekly basis about my concerns regarding addiction and loss of motivation.  She has stopped on her own for long periods of time when it looked like her pot use was getting in her way of a goal.  I will remind her to use that skill when it becomes necessary.  She will need to recognize when things are getting out of hand and I can help her with that.  We may do a weekly check in regarding the usage and how much and the reasons surrounding it.  I may suggest that to her today.

Community Manager

Hi @sunflowermom,

You have put some much thought into how you will address this topic with your daughter Heart It sounds like having that open line of communication is really important.

Let us know how you go- I think that a lot of parents here would benefit from hearing how the weekly check ins go and how you feel about them Heart

Active scribe

I am just now reading all these posts and I can't tell you how comforting it is to see how many other moms/daughters are going through the same thing. My daughter will be turning 16 this weekend and it has been the the most challenging and scary year of my life. She has always had trouble connecting with people and really has never had a best friend. Right now, she has no friends. 

She has been diagnosed with OCD, severe social anxiety disorder and depression. She has gone through 2 stints in the hospital because we were both afraid she was going to really harm herself. She has done IOP for 5 weeks and is also on meds. Right now she is doing all her high school classes virtually because her social anxiety is so bad. She cries daily, feels completely alone, doesn't connect with people and is so lonely. However her anxiety keeps her from wanting to do things socially. She makes friends online, mostly boys and then gets her heart broken repeatedly. I also tried to send her to a residential facility and that lasted 4 days, I thought being around the other kids and the groups would be helpful. It turned out to be a nightmare. This place was worse than the things you see in the movies. 

I am scared every day and really on the verge of a nervous breakdown myself. I forgot to mention that my daughter also self harms. 

Any thoughts or advice are welcome Smiley Happy

Mod

Hi @Motherofteen thank you for sharing with us and we're glad you are finding comfort from the forum posts, you are not alone Heart I'm sorry to hear your daughter is going through a really difficult time with her mental health and trying to connect with people. I'm wondering if she has tried any local helplines that can provide counselling support on the phone or via web chat? I can see you are based overseas and just wanted to advise the resources available here are Australian based but you may find the articles available helpful.

It sounds like a challenging and scary time for you and you mentioned being on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Self-care is key during this difficult time, what are some ways you can look after yourself? We're here to listen and support you.  

Contributor

Dear @Motherofteen

I am so sorry to hear the struggles you are going through right now.  You are not alone.  Many of us are right there in the trenches with you.  It is so draining to be living in constant fear of what will happen next. I totally get that.  Sometimes its a miracle that we are left functioning at all.

This week I had a birthday, and I really did some deep soul searching.  I'm so tired of just existing.  I have decided to try harder than ever to really work on myself- and honestly its the happiest week I have had in a long time.  I have been listening to spiritual stuff on utube and short meditations on my lunch break and journaling.  I have been also using affirmations when I wake up in the morning.  I am making my armor stronger so I can keep going through this- I don't want to say it but, battle.

I know your heart is breaking for your daughter and these "virtual boys"  and the drama (my daughter does that too)  I think they do more harm then good.  I so desperately would love to see my daughter have an actual boyfriend with holding hands and going to movies.  It such a different time but its hindering emotional development in my opinion. my daughter days she is just so lonely.  And I get that.  But yes, its heartbreaking.

I know how sad the self harms makes you as a parent.  I am over the fear that it is for suicidal reasons but I see all the scars and I am just sick,  My daughter is permanently scarred- but I am just coming to terms this is her journey and I keep hope for better days.  

Hugs.