siblings seeing each other naked

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scribe

siblings seeing each other naked

I have a 13 year old son and a 15 year old daughter, They both get on like normal siblings and our family life is pretty normal. 
However, they do occasionally display  behaviour which to me seems a little odd. They seem to have no problem with being seen naked by each other. Now please don't get me wrong, they are not walking around the house naked everyday, nor am I suggesting anything even remotely sexual going on. Its just every now and then they act in a way that surprises myself and their mother.  
I'll give a couple of examples of what I am trying to say.
1. About 2 weeks ago i had just washed towels and there were none in the bathroom and my daughter didn't realise, so after a shower she walked straight through the lounge room/kitchen past everyone in her birthday suit to the laundry to get a towel.
2. a couple of months ago we were camping and after a swim my wife was in the tent getting changed and my impatient son changed his underwear behind our 4wd but in full view of myself and my daughter.

Firstly, do I even have an issue here?
I have always tried to avoid teaching body shame, but certainly neither myself or my wife have never been so open with things infront of the kids.

I am personally happy just to leave it alone as I don't see any harm being done and it happens at most maybe 2-3 times a year and only for a few seconds at a time.
However, I am keen to get advice from other people on what they think of the situation and what if anything we should do or say.

Prolific scribe

Re: siblings seeing each other naked

@s4431915 Thank-you for your post, I loved it ! Hilarious ! So refreshing to have some fun issues discussed ! I absolutely do not think it is abnormal for your kids to  show their bodies to each other incidentally, occasionally and non-sexually. Wow I love your kids, how free and comfortable they must feel as a family unit to believe this is ok. You and your wife have done a great job - good on you !  I love it when siblings have a real , deep , relaxed , close relationship it is a credit to you as a family. 

My husband and I are quite free with nakedness in our home. I  sometimes hope from the bathroom to the bedroom with no clothes on, go searching  for my underwear. We have a small house and the likelihood of this happening  sometimes is unavoidable . My son ( 13 ) always rolls his eyes lol !! 

My view is that we are in our own home and  we are a family, I am not going to be hyper vigilant about my modesty in my own private space. 

We used to bath and shower together when they were little. 

My husband has run around the house naked to tease my kids too , they thought it was hilarious. 

My kids ( 17 and 13 ) are a little more conservative than us and and will not let us see them if they are changing and do not change in front of one another but I would not care one jot if they did. 

My son skips past us now and says " don't look at me ! "  I said to him, I gave birth to you and wiped your butt for 2.5 years do I  care if I  see your crown jewels, really ? get over it  ! 

I  teach drama and we have performances where the kids come to the stinking hot single sex change room with singlets and shorts on to go over their  underwear, and underneath their costumes its ridiculous ! they are boiling ! 

I think kids are becoming more conservative because of their parents hang ups about nudity 

Really, we should be teaching kids that  birthday suits are fine.

Their bodies are beautiful and they should be proud of them whatever the shape and size . Geeze there is nothing new , we are all variations on a theme !

Obviously I don't mean parading around naked , is ok but anything else....fine !  

Anyway, that's my view - thanks for the post