Topical Thursday - Whatcha watching?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Message contains an image

Hello wonderful parent community! 

This fortnight, we have a lighter, albeit still important,  topic to discuss.. what are you watching?? 

Happy The Simpsons GIF

I know the feeling of being too busy to watch TV, movies or neflix.. but now and then I get a moment, and I'm often overwhelmed with what to watch. So hopefully this discussion can help those of you in that position!

Watching TV shows and films is a great way to zen out, and decompress from the week!

So a few questions to choose from: 

1. What is a film you have recently watched that you would recommend and why? 

2. What is a TV show (netflix or other) that you have recently or are currently watching?

3. What are some shows that your young person enjoys watching - do you watch with them? 

the middle popcorn GIF by ABC Network

gina-Ro

Re: Topical Thursday - Whatcha watching?

Message contains an image

I'll get us started! 

I've been watching the newest season of Orange is the New Black - I've been a big fan throughout all the seasons, and I'm nearly finished this one... just the finale to go! 

Orange Is The New Black Happy Dance GIF

I love this show for a few reasons - the characters are rich and diverse, and they develop and grow throughout the show. Each character feels full and complex, with no character being just either "good" or "bad". 
The show highlights some serious issues with the US prison system, racial tensions, intersections of crime, race, and socio-economic status, while narrating a refreshing variety of female relationship dynamics and friendships! 

This is one of the few shows I've invested in in recent years. 

What are you watching? 

@taokat @Happy @Beemum @sunflowermom @Sister

@Clubkyce @Moggy3kids @Help_needed @TooConfused29 

Frequent scribe
Moggy3kids

I’ve been rewatching Packed to the Rafters . I’m finding it so much more emotional this time around as I am relating so much more to the characters due to the age of my kids and beginning to empty nest . Not going to lie. there have been tears 😝
gina-Ro

@Moggy3kids , Oh I used to really love Packed to the Rafters when it was on TV - I remember being very emotionally invested in the family! 
I can totally understand that it would be even more emotional due to your own kids, and them moving out of home! 

Have you enjoyed it even with the tears? 

Frequent scribe
Moggy3kids

Completely loving it ! May be binging a little 😂
Frequent scribe
Help_needed

Well not so recently but i just finished watching the 2nd season of Handmaid Tales and as confronting as the 2 series gave been it was it good watch
Highlighted
Super star contributor
taokat

I’ve been watching Netflix lately and a documentary I really loved was called ‘The Champions’. It was about the pit bulls that were rescued from American NFL star, Michael Vick’s dog fighting ring. 

It it was heartbreaking seeing how these dogs lived, how they were treated and learning about the fate of the ones who didn’t cut it in the ring, however the rescue and rehabilitation of these terrified, untrusting dogs was just beautiful. Dogs just want to be our best friends and the amazing people who patiently spent the time with these broken animals to get them to a point where they could go on to loving homes was a true statement of the good that thrives in this world. 

gina-Ro

@Moggy3kids Love a good binge! There's nothing like getting stuck into a show! 

@Help_needed Handmaid's Tale!!! Such a heavy one, I started the first season - and LOVED it, but found it very emotionally heavy. How did the second season compare to the first? 

@taokat Oh wow that sounds really interesting, but very heartbreaking as well. I find I tend to steer towards the lighter shows and documentaries these days in order to look after my emotional health! But every now and then, I really appreciated a good informative documentary. 
That reminds me of that doco - Blackfish - which was an incredible film, but so heartbreaking to see how the whales were treated by sea life parks. 

An update on Orange is the new black - I watched the finale last night, and am still in shock a little! It was a gut wrenching end! (No spoilers!) 

@lucymiller11 @Concerned_mom @6littledoves @seekwisdom @Ashestogolddust @Madmacca @Tulip - What are you all watching? 

Or have you got anything on the list that you want to watch? 

gina-Ro

@Orbit64 and @hippychick also keen to hear from you! 

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear what your young people are watching, it can be a good way to bond if you watch together, or have something to talk about that you're both interested in! 

Frequent scribe
Help_needed

@gina-Ro yes it was heavy and a very sad at times but I couldn't stop watching. I much prefer comedies usually so this show caught me by surprise. Series 2 was almost as good as the first they really left series 2 end for me wanting to know what comes next but next series is not out until March 19