Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Topical Tuesday: Gaming

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Topical Tuesday 4/9/18:

This week's Topical Tuesday is: Gaming

retro video games GIF

Let's talk about Gaming! Gaming is a topic of discussion we see frequently on the forums, with more and more families impacted by the growing trend of Gaming. Electronic gaming is accessed across a range of technology including computers, phones, tablets/ipads and gaming consoles. 

Gaming can have lots of benefits for young people, including social interactions.

There are ways for you to support your teenager to continue having positive experiences with gaming. Many parents have the same challenges in supporting their children with gaming.

Here are some questions to ask that will help you work together with your teenager:

How does gaming affect your family?

What is "Healthy" gaming vs "Unhealthy" gaming?

How do you moderate gaming in your home?

insomniac video games GIF

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Re: Topical Tuesday: Gaming

@Moggy3kids @Helpful_Mum @PositiveWhisper @CoogeeMagic2018 @taokat @Monty777 @hippy_mum @Happy @Beemum

Check out our community activities calendar here
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @chilemama@kevvy22@happydayz@sunflowermom,

I've seen in the last couple of months you all have been involved in discussion threads about gaming, screen time and moderating technology use.

I have just tagged you here because I think this could be a great place to talk about your experiences Smiley Happy

sunflowermom

There is not much gaming going on in our house.  However, there is way too much screen time and everyone has a phone in our household.  We have a new rule that we started a couple weeks ago and that is to turn in your phone on school nights to my bedroom charging station at 9 pm.  It has been working well and my daughters are getting better rest and waking up easier in the morning.  One daughter likes music for sleep so she uses an Ipod for that.

I have complained to my husband that we don't do enough in house as a family, so he suggested hooking up the Wii in the livingroom to try and get our daughters to come out and interact more.  I will let you know how that goes.

Highlighted
Super star contributor
taokat

My daughter and I sometimes play the Wii. My daughter bought herself an XBox when she was working and has that in her room and does play solo and online. She also likes The Sims that she plays on her computer. 

Being home all the time and mainly in her room, I’m amazed to say my daughter balances her gaming time really well with her other interests, so I’m lucky to not have to battle over restrictions. I might just touch wood on that one...

My perception of ‘healthy’ gaming is gaming that doesn’t interfere with usual daily activities, like eating, sleeping, hygiene, real life friendships, other interests etc. When gaming starts affecting ‘normal’ life and causes spiked anger when interrupted, I perceive that to be ‘unhealthy’ gaming. 

Keen to hear other’s experiences and opinions! 

Active scribe
Helpful_Mum

I must admit with 2 sons in my home I do struggle quite a bit with their gaming.  It is difficult to get them to manage their time and I don't like having to constantly police their gaming time; however, due to the addictive nature of this activity, I do find that I have to.  I would love to hear how other parents manage their teens gaming habits!

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @Helpful_Mum,

We do hear on the forums that gaming can be quite an addictive activity. You have mentioned having to police gaming activites, I'm wondering what that looks like in your house? Do you have set times for gaming or other strategies to maintain a safe usage?

Scribe
Jojomojo

I’m in exactly the same boat as you so I’m watching for responses with a keen eye😕🤔
sunflowermom

What about turning off the internet at night when you go to bed?  At least it cant go on all night long?  Just a thought....

Active scribe
DavisMike22

My thing is I feel it should have a purpose. 

If you want to game, you need to want to be a pro gamer or streamer. Otherwise you're just wasting your time and your enforcing bad, time-wasting habits. 

It may seem harsh but I recently taught my little cousin how to game stream and he loves it.

It's my opinion, but I think parents don't put enough effort into shaping a child's career. They'll tell them to go to college and get an education but do they tell you how to build a skill, get money etc?