Highlighted
Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Re: Topical Tuesday: Positive Affirmations / Mantras

Frequent scribe
seekwisdom

This is wonderful!
I will definitely incorporate in my daily life.
Frequent scribe
Ashestogolddust

I do like all your positive affirmations. It takes deep courage and faith to say these words when walls are crumbling around you. My favourite one which j say out loud is 'come on you can do it, no one told you it will be smooth sailing, you will be fine though' , my kids think am crazy when I say this but it gives me d spring to bounce back up on my 'really this is getting too much' days.
Casual scribe
Madmacca

I have started a new job and we have 6 weeks of classroom training (there are 5 of us in the class).  After the 6 weeks and we go "Live" actually doing the job, we have supportive training also.  We have been told that we will be working for the company for about one year before we truly know everything we need to know.  Today I just wanted to throw the towel in!!!  I am 51 years old and the others are 19, 22, 24, and 25 and I feel I am not picking up the computer systems as quickly as them.  I dont feel I am doing as well as them and we have only come to the end of week 4 and already I am feeling "not good enough".   My old employer treated me very badly and for years I have had no confidence and am trying really hard to claw this back.  I thought having this new job, it would give me MORE confidence but I feel it is having the opposite effect and is in actual fact taking more of what I have left.  I do want to keep going but finding it really tough!!

Reading these mantras this morning helped me in a way but I need to find a way of keeping on repeating them.  I dont know if I am kidding myself on or if I can really do it. 

Sorry this is going on and on and on and on!!!

Tomorrow is another day I suppose!!

Thanks for listening!!

XXXXX

Frequent scribe
Ashestogolddust

@Madmacca, please hang on in there. Trust me you'll be fine and you will be a great role model to others in the end. I am an adult learners tutor. My youngest learner is 17 and my eldest 65. You have done well for yourself. Please crack on. Hold the torch for others who might want to walk that path!👏
gina-Ro

@seekwisdom glad to hear this discussion is helpful! 

@Ashestogolddust I love the positive self-talk - so important on those tough days as you say. Your kids might think you're crazy now - but I bet they will probably use their own self-talk in the future after seeing your example. 

It can be a challenge to incorporate positive self-talk, or mantras (whatever we want to call it!) into everyday life and make it regular. 

Something that I'm going to try is sticking a positive affirmation on my mirror that I use to get ready each morning. That way I can't miss it! 
Also having one in the car, or in your calendar can be a good reminder too. 

gina-Ro

@Madmacca - I'm so glad reading these mantras was helpful for you. 
As @Ashestogolddust has said, keep going!! That feeling of not being "good enough", is an awful one - and not easy to get rid of.  Stick at it, show up each day, and your confidence should continue to increase. Most of everything we do is just showing up in the first place! 
The old "fake it till you make it" can actually really help in situations where you feel like you can't do something!

Perhaps you could choose one mantra to say to yourself each day on your way to work/ training to shift your mindset before you start? 

Active scribe
Sallyanne

This sounds wonderful! I started back on the anti depressants 2 days ago Smiley Sad I was on a roller coaster of emotions..... I will definitely try positive affirmations... when you feel your drowning and not quite able to reach the water surface! I'm going to tell myself you can do this! Your strong!

gina-Ro

@Sallyanne - going on or off medications can be a very bumpy ride indeed! I'm sorry to hear things have been so rough Smiley Sad 
I love that mantra: I'm strong. 
So simple, but very true, and profound. It's a really good one for when you feel just the opposite! Heart

If you'd like, let us know how you go with saying it regularly and if it's helpful - I'd love to hear. 

gina-Ro

Message contains an image

Writing out your mantras can be a powerful exercise  - a way to make them stick in your mind 

Image result for i am strong mantra