Need help now?

Topical Tuesday - Acts of Kindess!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Topical Tuesday - Acts of Kindess!

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Re: Topical Tuesday - Acts of Kindess!

@sunflowermom - wow thank you for sharing that story. What a beautiful experience to share with your daughters. It's amazing how our capacity to have compassion and empathy for others experiences often increases when we experience our own suffering, or that of a loved one. 

Heart

gina-Ro

@Caz01 @St_George-  @watermelonsugar @Wonderous  @Rowanna  @Schooner 
Would love to hear from you all too on this, if it interests you. Smiley Happy

gina-Ro

Message contains an image

@Orbit64 Driving kindness!!! That is such a rare one on the roads, but I can imagine it would make a huge difference to the driving experience of not just those around you, but also for yourself! 

Driving can be such a stressful, and aggressive activity - I can't love your list of ways to be kind on the road enough! 

Especially the kiss to angry male drivers - what a perfect response!

45e465ec065eaeb82dabcd2e8755327a1fe1ba5d118454ffd5002d0856ab560b.gif

Active scribe
Rowanna

This is a refreshing topic Smiley Happy I have two I'd like to share - the first one is about my now 15yo daughter - the one without the mental health issues. Two years ago we were walking through the shopping centre and a couple in front of us had their re-useable shopping bags all bunched up together - one of them dropped a bag and they were oblivious to the fact. My daughter picked up the bag, chased up to them and returned it - it was a great reminder that however self absorbed she could be much of the time - there's a fine and generous heart beating under that surly exterior - it was a proud parent moment too Smiley Happy

I run on the weekends and it's taken me three years to feel relatively confident that I can complete 5km within a (to me) reasonable time. Everyone out there on the course is running/walking their own effort - I smile and say something positive where I can these days - it makes a difference to other people and the follow on effect is it makes a difference to me. Well worth it!

Highlighted
Star contributor
Breez-RO

Kudos to both! @Rowanna How wonderful. Not often do you see that sort of compassion from young ones. And the run, how amazing - well done.

Super frequent scribe
Tulip

Hi everyone my act of kindness was putting money in the maccas drive through.
I also try to be friendly to cashiers and stay off my phone when being served. My daughter took a photo for some tourists at Katoomba on the weekend.

An act of kindness to me is my neighbor brings in my bins. Also my boss gave me some stationery for my daughter.

@Orbit64 some lovely gestures from you. You brought a smile to my face( thankyou) with the kiss to the driver, I had visions of a tattooed truck driver lol. So thanks for making me smile.
Super star contributor
taokat

I love this topic and these past few days I have been blown away by the love and support being shown us by friends and family. It's really helped give me strength and hope.

Acts of kindness are so powerful - they can be the difference that changes lives. 

@Zoesplace I love what you say about the forum and couldn't agree more Heart

gina-Ro

hi @Rowanna  - thank you for sharing!! 
Your example of your daughter running to return the dropped bag made me think of how big the ripple of kindness is when someone does something like that - not only was it kind for the strangers, and probably felt good for your daughter, but also made you feel good to watch! And probably others watching on too! 

Also love that you spread the positivity while running! 

@Tulip - did you pay for someone behind you at maccas??? That would make my month if I was the stranger behind you! 
Being friendly to cashiers is so important, they experience a lot of negativity throughout the day - wonderful to know that they get some positive vibes from you! 

@taokat That is so very true. Kindness changes lives. Sometimes we will never know the real impact that a small gesture has had on someone else, but it really can save a life Heart

I have to say, this thread has made me a lot more conscious of how I act towards strangers, as well as those I know.  
Especially your point @Orbit64 - as a Sydney driver it has been refreshing for me this week to act kindly on the roads even to horrible drivers!! 

Let's keep this thread going for another week, and I would love to hear any more stories from people receiving or giving out acts of kindness. 

Our new members -  @iuhanem @Falling2pieces @Alfiepup_17-  @Tiffpaws_7 @Givemestrength  - might want to read through the thread and contribute as well! Would love to hear from you on this one Smiley Happy

giphy (1).gif

Super star contributor
taokat

I was walking back to my car at the hospital the other day and there was a couple in their car looking for a spot. I tapped on the passenger window and told them I was leaving and pointed out my car. Parking is a nightmare there, and they were so happy and both gave me a big wave as I drove off. Their gratitude really made my day, so it was a positive for us both. 

Super star contributor
taokat

Image result for kindness quotes