Need help now?

Next Wednesday Wrap! Helping your teen use social media safely!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Next Wednesday Wrap! Helping your teen use social media safely!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Next Wednesday Wrap! Helping your teen use social media safely!

Beautifully put @LaurenPiro That's a great point about teenagers not only needing privacy but having the skills to protect it.

There has been a lot of comments made about how this is the generation that is the most out of control, the most distracted, the most self involved, the most vain but the truth is that they are very similar to all the generations of teenagers that pre-date them. The real difference is that this is the most documented generation. Prior to this, owning a camera was a luxury and getting photos developed was a luxury on top of a luxury.

I have about 10 photos from my teenage years. My daughter has ten from this evening.

It's a significant difference.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Not at all @LaurenPiro We're incredibly grateful you gave us your time. 

Thanks for the link. That will be very helpful. Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

So, so true @Ngaio-RO!

And we probably take that many photos of our cats a day!! Whereas when I was a teen digital cameras weren't even around! I developed my photos in the darkroom. 

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Hi @Ngaio-RO there was a time where I would have considered tracking my daughters phone (for safety reasons) but realise the dangerous potential this could have, so I am glad there is no legitimate way to do this. 

@LaurenPiro   You're right - I dont think my daughter would wear a wrist band!

Contributor
Beingme2017

So I had to leave last night so couldn't finish the wrap

Thankyou Lauren for your time and wisdom Smiley Happy

@Ngaio-RO my son is 13 and he is becoming quite involved in an offshoot site that is dedicated to chatting about a certain game on roblox ( I think ) - he is taking a bit of a leadership role in some way - and in this case I think that stuff can be quite self esteem building . As long as it doesn't all go pear shaped

But yes he has made YouTube videos of his roblox sessions and is right Into the community

I prefer that to hours of looking at people's snapchat stories and Instagram brags haha