Need help now?

15 Year Old Son Smoking Weed

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
blondemum

So I’ve just found out my 15 yo son has been smoking weed with friends he’s know since he was a young kid. He has been caught doing it at school and suspended now. The more we delve into this issue the more lies we are uncovering.
His father and I are divorced but have a good relationship together and with him. So do our prospective partners. We have all had discussions with him about the impact smoking and drinking at this age can have not only health related but also socially.
Not sure where to go from here?

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Re: 15 Year Old Son Smoking Weed

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @blondemum and welcome to ReachOut! We hope that you are able to speak to other parents here and seek support.

It sounds like finding out your son is smoking weed was a real shock. Suspensions are quite serious, so it is really great to hear that both you and your ex husband are on the same page when it comes to smoking weed. 

I am wondering whether you have had any contact with the other friends' families? 

Teens and marijuana use is something we hear from parents as an area of concern in a lot of homes. There have been quite a few parents here who can relate: @Celeste17 just recently posted that their son is also using weed at the moment, @workingdad2 posted a while back here and @ihavefailed made a topic here. I hope this gives a starting point- I would be interested to hear your thoughts whether other parents have had any suggestions that you could try. 

@sunflowermom, and @compassion have also had some recent discussion about weed and teens- do you have any suggestions/insights for @blondemum?

Please feel welcome to check back in with us- we would really love to hear how you are going 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted
Casual scribe
markf1975

Im embarrassed to say this but my son is 13 (nearly 14) from a very caring, affluent home of divorced parents. I caught him smoking weed after changing schools and things have escalated so quickly. He was also just suspended from school and we are moving him to another school to get away from the kids he is hanging with. I don't know how to get through to him on how much damage he is doing to his brain, body. etc. He is lying all the time and acting very disrespectful. If I try stop him he runs off, Im very much in need of assistance, 

Scribe
Kirrij

@markf1975 wrote:

Im embarrassed to say this but my son is 13 (nearly 14) from a very caring, affluent home of divorced parents. I caught him smoking weed after changing schools and things have escalated so quickly. He was also just suspended from school and we are moving him to another school to get away from the kids he is hanging with. I don't know how to get through to him on how much damage he is doing to his brain, body. etc. He is lying all the time and acting very disrespectful. If I try stop him he runs off, Im very much in need of assistance, 

I wish I had advice but I'm in the same situation. My (privileged) 13 year old has been just been suspended from school, lying, running off if he doesn't get what he wants, hanging with a terrible crowd (with a lot of older kids, some of whom have dropped out of school) and doing drugs. I mentioned changing schools and all hell broke loose. He is angry and aggressive all the time.

Prolific scribe
Andrea-RO

Hi @Kirrij and @markf1975

Thank you both for sharing your stories on the forum. I can hear how difficult it has been for both of you, and I can't imagine how stressful and heartbreaking it must feel for you to feel so concerned for both of your sons. I was wondering if either of you had been able to contact any professional supports like a psychologist or school counsellor? Sometimes it can be helpful for a young person to talk to someone who is a bit more on the outside.

Casual scribe
markf1975

I have a booking with a child psychologist on Saturday.  Im hoping to get some insight