Need help now?

15 year old aggressive, refusing school, smoking drugs

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

15 year old aggressive, refusing school, smoking drugs

Highlighted
Active scribe
feeling_lost

Re: 15 year old aggressive, refusing school, smoking drugs

It is probably the most difficult thing we will possibly endure parenting because I know I feel like I’ve failed somewhere along the way 😔 I wish I could just wrap him up in cotton wool and protect him forever. I know he has mental health issues but he is yet to be medically diagnosed , only with anxiety and depression. He is on medication which was helping but since he has turned to his own self medicating his life is in turmoil and he can’t see it. Well actually he can but he can’t control it.
And no I have had no support because there just isn’t any. He’s had councellors , private and headspace and now CAMHS but it seems of no use. They talk and talk but the kids also know how to manipulate and tell Councellors what they want to hear.
I’ve had to call the police twice and that was the hardest thing I’ve had to do where he was taken by ambulance to hospital because he was suicidal. He’s been discharged 3 times from hospital with absolutely no help or support for me.
All the hospitals and police day they see this all day everyday and no one knows what to do.
Everyone just says take him to a Gp and get a medication review. But nothing ever happens.
There is just no help. I know I am one of many parents struggling with the same thing.
Children are struggling , there’s too much for them to try and keep up with. It’s an epidemic that is getting out of our control.

Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: 15 year old aggressive, refusing school, smoking drugs

Hello @feeling_lost , I am sorry to hear about what you have been going through with your son. It sounds like things have been quite challenging and I can understand your desire to protect him. You sound like a very caring parent as you have been involved in getting your son all types of supports. You mentioned that your son has been self-medicating and not taking his prescribed medication, is this something he has been managing with his current treatment team?  

Also, you mentioned that your son is able to manipulate and tell counsellors what they want to hear. That sounds like quite a tricky situation. Have you had the chance to have a discussion with your sons counsellors to help them be more aware of this and also potentially confirm/deny things they might be uncertain about that your son might have said?

I am sorry to hear that you have felt unsupported after your son was discharged from hospital as he was feeling suicidal. That must have been a really tough experience. Do you have any current concerns for your son's safety?