Need help now?

Teenage daughter always annoyed with me

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Cromom

My daughter who is 17 is always annoyed with me, dosnt talk to me much and nothing I say or do is right. All and all she is a great kid so I feel like I shouldn't stress and it's just a phase they all go through but It's really frustrating and I don't know what to do anymore. Please help!!
Star contributor
TOM-RO

Re: Teenage daughter always annoyed with me

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear what you're going through.  I hope things are better since yesterday.  If you need counselling support please go to https://www.parentline.com.au/other-support-services.  They have phone numbers to speak to phone counsellors depending on which state you are located in.  Hope this helps. 

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @Cromom,

Thank you for reaching out to our parents community- it is such a tough stage of adolescence your daughter is in and one where teens are still learning a lot about naming and expressing the feelings they are having. 

You have mentioned that your daughter is overall a really great teen which is a really lovely reflection. Can you tell us a bit more about some of the things she is interested in? Is she coming to the end of her schooling soon? 

Look forward to hearing from you soon and learning a bit more about you and your daughter Heart

Check out our community activities calendar here
Casual scribe
Cromom

She just finished junior year. She likes to write and she's really into Kpop music. I recently brought her and her friend to New York to see one of her favorite bands. She does not drink or do drugs and has a really good sense about all of that which I am so grateful for!! I think I just miss when she wanted to be around me more and talk to me about things more, I know it's this teenage phase but it's still tough.
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Hey @Cromom, thanks for sharing that. It definitely is tough but it is great that you are not taking it personally. Have you tried asking if there is anything she would like to do with you? Maybe there are other activities that she would prefer to do with you instead. You mentioned that you always seem to say or do the wrong thing.. is there a general theme to this? What has happened for you to feel that way? Smiley Happy