Need help now?

Teenage granddaughter attitude

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Leading up to that week our beautiful granddaughter attitude was out of control with her step-dad. Step-dad has been her life on and off for 7 years. So our beautiful granddaughter was sent to spend the weekend with us so all involved can take time away from each other. Lol I can understand what our teenagers are put up against, I truly do. So our wonderful daughter decided that her daughter can live with her father which i agreed as she truly needed to focus on herself . Her father was part of her life and all our extended family for 7 years and he was over the moon and had asked myself and my husband for some advise. Our granddaughter keeps in contact with us via messener and snapchat. Thanks to Google i can understand her shorthand. Her relationship with her mother, stepfather and brothers were becoming a strained relationship. No one was listening to her thats why i reached out. No one would listen to me,hey i don't live their. But it was best for our granddaughter to be with her dad who embraced the changes of his beautiful intelligent creative fashionista great communicator and definitely hard worker too. Our beautiful teenage granddaughter who will inspire to an amazing adventure we love you xxx

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Teenage granddaughter attitude

Hi @Serapis22 What a great outcome!

I'm always so moved when I hear a story about a family member going to bat on behalf of a teenager. It's very easy as a parent to be so close to the problem you can't see the forest for the trees anymore.

I know how incredibly hard blended families can be and, just as it is for your granddaghter, sometimes some members need to try something different. How wonderful that you're so connected to your granddaughter that you could be her voice in this situation.

I'm sure mum and step-dad will come around to seeing her exactly as you do. It's amazing what a bit of space can do for everyone.

Will you get to maintain the same level of contact now she's at her dad's?

Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Hi Ngaio-RO
We have always kept in touch with our granddaughters father, he very close to our extended family.
His way of being a parent is very traditional and strict. He is a builder by trade and their are opportunities waiting for her university, travelling on the endeavor etc. As we said relax sweet heart and go with the flow their are amazing opportunities for the taking.
We were snap chatting with her the other day her attitude was positive and beautiful just made our hearts flutter with joy for her. 💄👒🎓
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's wonderful @Serapis22. It's great to hear how close you are with your granddaughter.

Maintaining a close relationship with her dad is wonderful too. I imagine that means a lot to her.

Is she in your care often?

Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Our wonderful granddaughter lives with her dad in NZ. She is not settling in too good, she is wanting to come back to Australia. She does find change very difficult.
Our granddaughter contacts us her aunty and mother frequently.
Prolific scribe
taziness

Just wanted to say how lucky she is to have a grandmother like you watching out for her! 

Change is certainly challenging, especially one of this size, but I do hope that she is willing and resilient to give it some time?

Good on you for being there to guide her Smiley Happy

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Spoke with our wonderful granddaughter today she was at her grandmas house waiting for dad to pick her up when he finishes work. I could here lots of laughter in the background. I asked how she was, I'm getting their nan. She has her subjects sorted. She catches the train and then buses to school. Few teaches sat down with her explained to her courses she can take. Sge has decided to do a course in tourism. She sounded very positive. Her dads fine etc. Was really comforting to her voice and happy. We did a video chat we had no sound lol but I could see her cute smile. Very proud of our eldest granddaughter. We will all learn valuable lessons from our talented granddaughter.
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's wonderful news @Serapis22 It's great she's growing and learning in such a wonderful way.

And I completely agree with the others, she's so lucky to have such a wonderful grandmother.

Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Thank you. We are grateful for these blissful teenage lessons.