Need help now?

Does Your Family Have its Own Terminologies?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super star contributor
taokat

This is just a bit of silly fun.

Does your family use words or phrases that a family member has made up?

We have a few! These are the two terms in my head at the moment. Mine is first, as I feel it is particularly relevant to raising our young people.

Paediocracy -  an all encompassing term for the 'extraordinary' thought processes and behaviours of our youth. You know, the one's that leave you speechless momentarily, or wondering in what realm of reality our kids are living in at that moment.

My favourite of Dad's that our whole family uses:

Roaring Pyakka - a diagnosis of any unexplained pain or illness. Advised treatment if on a limb or extremity - removal of limb. It's a very grave illness to have!

Roaring Pyakka has been the most diagnosed 'illness' in our family over my lifetime, but particlularly prevalent as kids and teens! The kids now roll their eyes and moan and groan and have a giggle.

Let us know what words or phrases your family has added to the dictionary! Smiley Happy

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Does Your Family Have its Own Terminologies?

Love it @taokat And stealing Paediocracy!

The two we have that get walked out at least once a week is:

"that's a bit how's your father."

and

"get out of town." with the immediate response "no YOU get out of town."

I also torture my kids when they say "you know what" by saying "you're mad and I'm not?"

Which is hilarious to me because my mum did that to me and I thought she was the lamest human IN THE WORLD! 

And @taokat I'm crowning you Ruler of The Chill Out Space! 

Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Hi love the humour.
Our family are sarcastic and love too joke with one another and gradchildren included lol.
My favourite is handle the jandal.
Myself and 3 daughters created a chat group sometimes most of the time lets be honest now lol all the time a place to vent about our hair nails teerh and clothes and funny pictures of ourselves and kiddies partner's too great fun. Sometimes we complain about little things our favourite is "handle the jandal" deal with it; but this is only the small stuff because the kiddies say it jokingly too. I to hubby alot haha
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Haha @Serapis22 Handle the jandal is awesome.

Do you think the Aussies here will know what a jandal is? Robot tongue

Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Haha the aussie in our remote area found me a little weird lol eccentric sometimes. Especially when returning from nz with a family reunion tshirt with our ancestors name in maori and our logo. Hehehe I wore this tshirt alot some people thought it was a joke against the aussies, when explaining about our ancestors they still didn't quite understand. But thats okay. Myself and siblings would mix maori with English.makariri means cold so makachilli lol.
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's very funny @Serapis22 

Anytime you want to start a post about cultural differences, that would be amazing.

I'd love to hear how the Maori culture differs from others when it comes to parenting etc.

Super star contributor
taokat

Love the responses! @Ngaio-RO, my mum used to say the 'guess what? you're mad and I'm not' too! A good bit of fun!

Yes, please use paediocracy! Lol. So relatable when parenting! 

And thank you, I'll wear the crown with pride! 

@Serapis22, 'handle the jandal' is great! I haven't heard that before. I might break that one out at home myself!

Super frequent scribe
Big_Crab

Love these terms. The favorite in our house is when the kids ask "what's for dinner" I reply food. This response always leads to "what type of food?" and the only answer is of course 'food food'. Frustrates them no end Smiley Happy
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Haha that's awesome @Big_Crab It's so great torturing the kids with all the terrible Dad jokes my parents tortured me with.

Our version of your one is when the kids say "I'm hungry." I say "Hi hungry, I'm mum." So lame. So great.

Glad you're keen to take it on @taokat I have your first mission for you!

Highlighted
Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Hi @bigcrab I love the I'm hungry, I do the exact same "hi hungry how's your back,"haven't seen you in ears & ears. Love it