Need help now?

How to manage postpartum depression

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Orangecat

I’m a mother of 2 newborn twins. For me it’s very hard to deal with 2 at a time . My husband is always at work . I feel anxious and depressed all the time . I became fat and my skin is dull and looks terrible currently. How to come back to normal?
Contributor
Bre-RO

Re: How to manage postpartum depression

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi there @Orangecat 

I'm so glad you decided to share this with our community. 

Although postpartum anxiety and depression is a very common experience, it can still be difficult to open up about. The important thing to know is that you are not alone with this, and there are dedicated support services for parents struggling with this. 

ReachOut caters to parents and carers of young people between the ages of 12- 18 years, so we might not be the most helpful space for you.

You deserve the best support available, so I've put together a list of possible services for you to consider: 

• Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Australia (PANDA) supports parents' mental health during pregnancy and the first year of their children's life. They have a counselling helpline (1300 726 306) available between 9 am-and 7:30 pm, and you can read more about the helpline here. There is a lot of information on their site for new parents here.
  • Family Services Australia might also be worth checking out. They have a range of support available for families at all stages of their parenting journey. 
  • Parentline is another helpline dedicated to supporting parents and connecting them with local services.
  • Raising Children Network offers tonnes of content on all things parenting. They also have a part of their website dedicated to parents' well-being here. I found two articles you might like to read, "Postnatal depression" and "Postnatal anxiety"
  • Find a Psychologist is a search tool that allows you to enter your area and concerns to find an appropriate psychologist. I'm not sure if you have already seen a counsellor or psychologist, but I thought I'd include this just in case you don't. Making an appointment with your GP to discuss a mental health care plan will help you get free medicare rebated sessions. 

I truly hope you can connect with the right people and arrange some support. Nobody should go through those feelings of anxiety and depression alone. Please let us know if you have any questions or comments!