Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Casual scribe
mum_of_four

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hi, 

I am barely managing my own health to be honest. Having severe Depression and Anxiety, as well as deep grief, I just get on.

I have an amazing support team of professional women who all take care of my mental health.  I see a Clin Psych once a week and a Psychiatrist every 2-3 months and my GP every 4-6 weeks.  

When my sister died, I took on the role of part time mum to her three young boys.

The youngest who I still support, by taking him to medical appts, etc, is now back living with his dysfunctional father after living with my family from 2009 to 2013. It was the hardest decision of my life to send him back to his father.....but I was too unwell to cope.

His father doesnt care, and therefore I still take care of him from a short distance.

Sadly he doesnt attend school and did get into the wrong crowd, but he is now working and seems to be able to understand that some things are no good for him.

I have no extended family helping, as they all chose to walk away from this.....and this compounds my depression more.

I have 4 amazing kids and a husband who also are great at helping with thier cousin/nephew. 

Prolific scribe
Luula

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @mum_of_four, it sounds like you are doing the best you can in a challenging situation.

I'm sure there are some other parents in this forum that would benefit from hearing about your experiences with managing your own mental health. Please feel free to start a thread if you have some thoughts to share.

Meanwhile, I'd love to hear if you have any self-care tips to add to this thread.

Contributor
readthemanual

Welcome! @Hellatired

I am with you here as I have a 16y daughter too. She is a very good student and perfect daughter who ticks all the boxes yet, we have some serious problems as well!

Sometimes, I just tell myself to be patient and wait for her to grow out of the phase like she did with many other 'phases' in the past. In the meantime, it is very important for us to be good to ourselves and relax.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Hello @Hellatired I am extremely ticklish as well! I also have a 16 year old daughter. She is in the middle of mr18 and mr9. Looking forward to getting to know you more over the course of the Reachout parents. What feature of the website or info have you found most valuable so far? @AmyJay

New member? Let us know what's on your mind by Starting a New Topic here. Or replying to one here.

Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Dear @mum_of_four, sounds like a you are a mum of 7! Credit where it's due! I really admire you for raising your own kids PLUS your sisters children's for many years. It must be very hard to see your sisters youngest go back to his birth father. It is also heartening to hear that he is connected to a job and is working out that some things are not good for him- all your values work is paying off. He is so lucky to know you care for him. I like the sound of your relaxation tips. Coastal walks and the sound of waves is magic! Thanks for joining the Reachout parents forum! @AmyJay

New member? Let us know what's on your mind by Starting a New Topic here. Or replying to one here.

Super frequent scribe
ElleBelle

Sending a big hello to our newest members - @Concerned @Skypuppy @Crossfitmum @Gpani and @Charmed. Feel free to introduce yourself here!

Active scribe
Crossfitmum

Hi All

I have 2 gorgeous children - girl aged 14 and boy aged 12.  They are the most incredible little humans with sensitivity, resilience, determination, intelligence and charm.  They love each other (most of the time) and their Dad and I (we divorced when the kids were 4 & 2). They also adore their step dad (my husband) and his 2 children (their step sister and brother).  Unfortunatley there are some issues right now with their step mum (hence me Reaching Out via my first post.  I want my children to experience all that life has to offer and believe that challenges like this are part of life and will make them better adults in the long run.  I want everything for my children and hope I am the role model that I strive to be.  We laugh alot, cry alot and most of all create many many memories 

Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Luula

Welcome @Crossfitmum, I'm guessing by your username that you are also into Crossfit? I'm a yogi to the core and don't do a lot of other regular exercise, apart from walking. I went to a crossfit session once a couple of years ago and I could barely move my body the next day. Needless to say I have much respect for anyone who does crossfit Smiley Happy 

Active scribe
Crossfitmum

Hi @Luula.  Yes, call me crazy but I am addicted to crossfit and all the pain and agony that comes with it.  Many people have told me I should consider balancing out the intensity of crossfit with an intense spiritual actvity such as yoga.  I am not sure yoga is any easier and from what I see just as intense....just different intense Smiley Happy

Active scribe
Hellatired

Hi @readthemanual,

I love your name as I am constantly wishing I had one lol.
I know what you mean about the 'phases'. It seems to be everyone's encouraging words when I tell them we are having problems. Problem is that her moods and attitude are so up and down that I think we are getting whiplash.
It doesn't help at all that her best friend recently quit school and now she has it in her head that it's ok for her to do it too... It really is an uphill battle most days.
But I will continue to hold on to the good, encourage her to make good choices and hope that everything works out ok...

And perhaps I should take your advice and just relax lol.