Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Active scribe
JohnMorrow

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hi Amber,

You definitely don't have to be angry with your sons, but if you feel like the voice messages are getting out of control maybe you can draw a line, or set a limit. If it is inconvenience you at work, and getting in the way of you doing your job, you should definitely have a word with them. 

In my family we do semi regular meetings to discuss patterns that we want to see change. On the docket for this evening is a talk about listening and promptly doing as we ask. We've dealt with a lot of problems, but this is one that... well maybe I need some advice about, lol

Casual scribe
Dad42

1. I’ve a six and half year old girl and the boy is 2 and half.
I work abroad and to keep in touch o rely on video calls.
2. It’s my wife and my mom dad who are doing all the parenting so I’m not very sure about all the pressure of full time parenting job.
3. Was surfing online to get some help and found this forum.
4. My kids are very young so can’t give any tips.
5. Frankly, my weekends are all about talking to my kids over the phone/ Skype and WhatsApp.
Scribe
Kmumz

Hey everyone,

1. I have two girls 15 and 10. I'm struggling to think of anything they've done to make me laugh.

2. I write and read, and garden! 
3. I've been really struggling with my 15 year old, balancing her mental health and also formulating a loving, happy family. I'm a single mum, have my kids 50/50 and co-parent with someone who has a new baby. It's pretty tough at the moment.

Just really looking for some camaraderie and maybe some reassurance that difficult teens happen to other families.

Highlighted
Scribe
Out_on_a_limb

Hi everyone - Happy Monday ! I’m new here Smiley Happy 

Here’s a few answers to the intro questions. 

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?

I have 2 girls age 13 and 11. 

What has my 13 year old done to make me laugh recently ..? I can’t think of anything sadly. 

What has my 11 year old done..she likes to curl up on my like a koala when she is being cute and when I have to get up she hangs on my back or leg as if I’m a tree..she is pretty tall now so I can only carry her for a bit..but I love the fact that she still loves physical contact and lots of close cuddles. 

2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?

I have to have a nana nap on the weekends and I try and get out for a short walk every day..even if it’s just around the block. 
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?

i found the link on the beyond blue site when I googled children and anxiety. 
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?

im not sure I have any yet as really struggling, I think it would be keep forgiving, keep loving and practice an enormous amount of patience and look after yourself and get lots of sleep..otherwise it’s even harder to forgive and practice patience. 
5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

sleeping in and having time to do some creative cooking and watching my younger daughter play sport. 

Casual scribe
Izzy_1

Hi, 

I am new to this site. My answers below!

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?

Younger is 11, almost 12. Older is 23, therefore not a kid. Laugh: my younger daughter's commentary whilst watching the movie Halloween on Halloween night. What Boogie Man?!?
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?

Try not to react immediately and distract me with something mundane, washing a dish, or my hands, before I open my mouth! Control immediate reaction which may create more stress. As for myself, I make sure I have 'me' time before I go to bed, watching news, a doco, or reading. Having routines in place.
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?

Searching for parenting advice on a particular topic.
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?

It will be a ride! Same like Covid - it will eventually pass. In the meantime, I need to accept the things I cannot change.
5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

More 'me' time!

Star contributor
Janine-RO

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Hi @Izzy_1 , @Out_on_a_limb , @Kmumz , @Dad42 , and @AmberP 

welcome.gif · GitHub

It's really nice to 'meet' you all, and we hope you find the forums helpful. 

@Izzy_1  you mentioned that you were looking for advice on a particular topic, did you find what you were looking for? 

@Kmumz , you are definitely not alone, you'll definitely find lots of other parents here having tricky times. I also spent several years as a sole parent and I know how tough it can be at times - we do have a single parents board if you ever feel like posting over there Smiley Happy 

@Out_on_a_limb  I'm also a huge fan of the odd nap and the therapeutic power of walks! You're spot on, it definitely makes it easier to find those stores of patience you need!

Casual scribe
Izzy_1

Hi Janine,

Thank you for the warm welcome. 

The topic for me is pre-teen/ teen sexuality/gender fluidity questions. I find most LGTBQ forums are designed for young people over the age of 15 (13, if lucky). And little support for parents who don't have the answers (like me!).

I have a coaching session booked in a few weeks' time, and I look forward to it. 

Contributor
Hannah-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Izzy_1 

Great to have you here! Good on you booking a coaching session, I hope you find it really valuable Smiley Very Happy

In terms of forums to chat about LGBTQI+ issues, were you looking for a forum for you or for your child? For you, it could be worth checking out the Sexuality and Gender Identity section of the Beyond Blue forums (link here) There might be some more specific discussions there that could be helpful.

Our youth forum is for young people aged 14-25 where we have many threads about sexuality and gender, though I understand this may not be the age bracket you're after. 

We're also happy to provide any support we can here, and there is a wealth of knowledge from other parents on this forum too which I hope you find helpful and supportive Heart

Scribe
Yoonmama

The story of two daughters and a strong mother here!

I am very happy to know this forum and thank you to the people involved.

I started living in Australia with my daughters  in 2017 and I am learning a lot by solving new problems that are constantly occurring one by one.
My two daughters are Year 9 and Year 10.
They are very different personalities and everything is opposite, even though they are sister.They are always together. The older sister is always protecting younger sister.Whenever something happens, my second daughter looking for older sister rather than me.The first daughter is always strong and smoothly adjusting to school life.

But the second daughter is afraid and scared of school life.The first daughter’s opinion is Don't avoid it.

She say avoiding does not help, and tells younger sister not to hide or avoid from afraid.

I am really strong person,

But I can't be strong to my second daughter, who is afraid, even can't making eye contact with other people.

How can I help my daughter who is afraid of school life?

Thank you.

Star contributor
Janine-RO

Re: The story of two daughters and a strong mother here!

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Yoonmama , 

Welcome to the forums! It is so nice to have you here Smiley Happy 

Moving to a new country with 2 kids must have been a huge challenge, you definitely do sound like a very strong mother- do you have any family support in Australia? 

It sounds like your daughters have a really strong and supportive relationship which is really wonderful, I always think it's fascinating how different siblings can be. 

I'm wondering if your younger daughter has always been afraid and nervous in school life, or is this something more recent? Experiencing social anxiety, and anxiety around school,  is something that's quite common for young people- it can be a really isolating experience, but it can often help a lot to know they're not alone. We have some great tips on coping with social anxiety here, with some really practical information as well as a video from a young person who's been through it themselves. 

Chatting to a professional can also help a lot to work on ways to overcome the anxious feelings, especially if it's starting to feel like it's interfering a lot with how she wants to live her life. Do you have a GP that she would be comfortable talking to? Headspace centres are also another great place to start, for young people who'd like to chat to someone about their mental health ,and their services are free and they also have internet based services- you can find out more about those here

Do you think your daughter might be open to chatting to someone about how she's been feeling?