Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Active scribe
Annco

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

1. We are blessed with 2 girls, 15 and 12 years old and 2 boys, 14 and 9 years old. They all make me laugh at various times, hard to pick one out. 

2. Was never stressed until recently, staying on top of it is a work in progress. 

3. I was desperately seeking information on our particular issue with one of our teenagers and got led here.

4. Teens get a bad rap, not always deserved. I break each day into 3 parts (sometimes more) and take each part as it comes

5. I get to watch my children play their various sports, all of which I really enjoy (the watching, that is, not able to do some of their sports!!!)

Highlighted
Frequent scribe
Emily-RO

Welcome to the forums @Annco ! We're glad to have you here.

It sounds like you've had a challenging, but rewarding journey as a parent. 

I've responded to your other post but just wanted to say hi here as well 😊

Active scribe
Sunmoon

1. 11 year old.
2. Exercise. Compliments, compassion gratitude practice.
3. To find some support.
4. Don’t have one. I’m looking for a tip.
5. Get to hang out go different places
Contributor
Philippa-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Sunmoon and welcome to the forums - it's great to have you here. 

If you'd like to start a thread to talk about what's on your mind, please feel free to do that hereSmiley Happy

Casual scribe
Pumkinpie

Hi, I am a mum of 4, 1 teen boy, 2 teen girls and a preteen girl.
Parent/Carer Community Champion
Birdwings

Hi Pumpkin Pie,

Welcome to the parenting forum. Has anything brought you along? 

I'm mum to a 17 year old boy and a 15 year old girl. I've been coming here since we went into lockdown last year and I lost contact with a lot of my friends and parents of my kids' friends etc. Wanted to connect with other parents. 

Best wishes,

Birdwings

Casual scribe
Pumkinpie

I have mainly been looking for resources to help my oldest daughter, she started self harming a couple of years ago, but has been self harm free for 6months, which is around the time that we disclosed that she had been groomed for a while by someone we thought we could trust. I have praised her bravery and currently working with her tutors to try help her mental health, but she now seems to be replacing self harming with very risky behaviour, she disclosed meeting a complete stranger off the internet and engaging in unprotected sex.

So far I have discussed with her what risks were involved from STI to physical harm etc, and she has agreed to a relationship agreement covering waiting to ensure healthy relationships, protection and meeting people in appropriate places etc. 

Sorry to write an essay. To be honest I think this is the first time I have said anything to anyone other that necessary professionals.

Contributor
Philippa-RO

Hi @Pumkinpie and welcome to the forums - it's great to have you join the community. Smiley Happy

I'm so sorry to hear about all your daughter has been going through - it must have been a really stressful and worrying time for you as her parent. 

I wanted to let you know that we edited some wording in your post slightly, in line with our community guidelines. I also wanted to let you know that if you'd like to start your own thread, you're very welcome to so please feel free to do that here

Can I ask how old your daughter is? And does she have access to any professional support (eg. counselling or other support services)? Were you able to report the grooming? 

We have some information on our parents website about teenagers and risk taking if you'd like to take a look. There's also some information on our youth website about sex in case it's helpful for your daughter and/or as a conversation starter. 

It's such a hard thing to balance when young people want and need to separate and develop their independence, but as their parents we also want and need to ensure their safety.

I really feel for you, but it sounds like you're doing your best to keep the conversation open, supportive and non-judgemental. I think it really says a lot about your relationship that your daughter feels able to talk to you with such honesty.  

I'm not sure about your daughter, but I've noticed often my young people can tend to listen more to people they respect who aren't their parents - if that's the case for your daughter, are there any other adults who might be able to mentor and support her at the moment? 

Do you have supportive people you can talk to through this as well?
It takes a lot of courage to share what's happening and we're here to listen and to support you. Heart

We are also going to email you, so please look out for that. 

Casual scribe
ALondon

I am the mother of a 15 year old son. A friend forwarded me the site. I am preparing for Christmas and spending time with my family.
Contributor
Sophia-RO

Hi @ALondon , glad to have you here on the forums. I hope that things aren’t too stressful for you this time of the year! If you'd like to start a thread to talk about what's on your mind, please feel free to do that hereSmiley Happy