Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Frequent scribe
GrhRo

Re: New member? Introduce yourslf here!

Hi Everyone,

GrhRo here. Wow that waving GIF will be a major test of my concentration.

As a quick bit of background, my current username (account) is new, hence no posts yet, although I have been around ReachOut as a founding member of ReachOut Parents before it went live last year.

I have two early teens daughters who love to do the station hop thing with the car radio. They have a few favourites such as Sia, and I think their music taste is improving, however apparently the music I love remains ancient.

My introduction to ReachOut was initially through a working group of parents, put together to help build on the fantastic work the ReachOut staff had done in bringing the Parent forums to life, as we have them now.

I am a big believer in the de-stressability (is that a word?), animals, pets., have on humans. I know when either of my daughters are upset, I hand them a cat to cuddle, or our dog instinctively seems to do it, and the effect of calming is quite noticeable.

Dog and I then need to go for a walk as our de-stress!!

Unfortunately at the moment I can only dream of time out to read or watch a movie. Having just written that, I realised a bit of self-care is in order!

Looking forward to reading and contributing to posts.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Thank you @GrhRo So great to have you here!

Was the waving gif too much...

snl saturday night live shocked bill hader stefon GIF

And de-stressability is absolutely a word! You might want to add it to our growing list here!

Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Hi how was your day. Mighty hot where I am. Wonderful to see you part of the reachout group.
Frequent scribe
hashtagmum

Thanks for the welcome @Ngaio-RO and @Serapis22 and hi @GrhRo.  Weather has been pretty wet where I am but a bit nicer today. 

In response to the "supplementary questions":

1. How old are your kids and what music do they listen to?Kids are 18 and 14.  18 year old has quite "retro" musical taste.  Actually went and saw Teenage Fanclub with her dad a few weeks ago.  Has a blossoming romance with a new boy at the moment and one of her main concerns about him is his awful taste in music (ie, Chris Brown etc)!  14yo currently getting into music from the Riverdale soundtrack which is also pretty retro.  Particular favourites are the cast versions of Archie's Candy Girl and Donna Summer's I Feel Love.  He probably thinks they are both new songs!  
  2. How did you hear about Reach Out?Facebook
  3. A tip for dealing with angry or upset teens?Food and a hug (find the vegan one gets particularly "hangry"). 
  4. The last book, movie or tv show you loved?Love Gogglebox.  Last movie I saw was Jasper Jones which was good but not as good as the book (which is fabulous) and last proper book I read was Hannah Kent's The Good People.
Highlighted
Frequent scribe
hashtagmum

Agree about the pets!  We got two new rescue dogs a few months ago which have been great for everyone's mental health (when not causing trouble). 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Haha @hashtagmum It's so funny to hear your kids listening to music from your own adolescence, isn't it. My middle child loves her some early 90's hip-hop. I try not to ruin it for her by telling her I danced to those same songs at most of the parties I went to.

Thank you so much for introducing yourself.  Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Message contains an image

Welcome @Serapis22@GrhRo and @hashtagmum.

I've enjoyed reading shares by @Serapis22 in the forums and look forward to interacting with you both @GrhRo and @hashtagmum.

source-1

Prolific scribe
Red21

@Brain-Fog ... hi nice to e meet with you.
Apologies if needed for my ignorance what is VCE - that's new to me. Would you be ready willing and able to share a brief definition of what it is?

🙏🏻
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Welcome to @Dovchin  &  @Kyle04  & @Scout-hall  &  @Torry_Cox  &  @salter  

Welcome to Reach Out Parents!!! We are so glad you're here!

welcome austin powers mike myers dr evil GIF

We'd love you to take a moment to introduce yourself by hitting reply and saying hi!

If things are difficult at the moment and you want support straight away click here to sign up for online coaching.

It's free and you do it online, from home. It can take as little as a couple of hour long sessions.

Or click here to let us know what's happening and what you need.

Maybe @Serapis22 and @taokat and @hashtagmum and other awesome parents could say Hi!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains an image

Welcome also to @ChristianMother  &  @adkennon24 &  @clp-1966  &  @KJane  @&  @JoanDsouza

cartoons & comics hello welcome hey minions GIF

We're so happy you're here! We'd love to get to know you!