Need help now?

Compulsory schooling order against parent with mental health issues

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Jabit
Solved!

My grandson refusing to go to school his mother has mental health issues the stress is making her worse. She is Now ibeen taken to educational court for compulsory school order. But she can't cope heading for a breakdown and will fail so does she get fined and go to jail because of this.... What do I do I'm trying to run two households. How can they take this order out if they know she will fail to get him to school.

Accepted Solutions
Prolific scribe
Chloe-RO
Solution

Re: Compulsory schooling order against parent with mental health issues

Dear @Jabit ,

We are hearing you. It is such a difficult situation as everyone knows what is SUPPOSED to be done (ie. your grandson goes to school), however we read that the issue is linked in with school refusal.

What has the school done about this to support you grandson to go to school? Is there anyone you can speak to e.g. a welfare team who can have a chat to him?

Unfortunately, school refusal is quite common. Have you tried speaking to your grandson to determine why he is refusing to go to school? Is it due to anxiety? Friendship issues? Difficulty of schoolwork?

In all these, do you have supports for yourself? We read how difficult it is running two households, and the demands can be huge.

We encourage you to remember your own self-care at this time as you navigate ways to support both your grandson and his mother.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Prolific scribe
Chloe-RO
Solution

Dear @Jabit ,

We are hearing you. It is such a difficult situation as everyone knows what is SUPPOSED to be done (ie. your grandson goes to school), however we read that the issue is linked in with school refusal.

What has the school done about this to support you grandson to go to school? Is there anyone you can speak to e.g. a welfare team who can have a chat to him?

Unfortunately, school refusal is quite common. Have you tried speaking to your grandson to determine why he is refusing to go to school? Is it due to anxiety? Friendship issues? Difficulty of schoolwork?

In all these, do you have supports for yourself? We read how difficult it is running two households, and the demands can be huge.

We encourage you to remember your own self-care at this time as you navigate ways to support both your grandson and his mother.

Mod
Hannah_RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Jabit , I can only imagine how tough it has been to watch a child deal with court issues while simultaneously dealing with her mental health issues. On top of that, having a grandchild refusing to go to school can place an enormous pressure on a family. Are either your grandson or his mother engaging in any support services for their well-being at the moment?

Understandably, it sounds like managing two households and caring for your family members is starting to have an impact on your own well-being. I am wondering whether you have any support for yourself throughout all of this? 

Carer gateway is a service that provides emotional and practical services and support for carers. They might be worth checking out.