Discussion forum for parents in Australia

29 Jun: Nurturing independence in teens

Highlighted
Contributor
Sophie-RO
Solved!

29 Jun: Nurturing independence in teens

Message contains an image

Wednesday Wrap is a monthly live discussion facilitated by parents for parents. This month, Wednesday 29th June, we're talking about nurturing indepence in teenagers!

We know that chores and pocket money are not the most exciting topics to discuss, but parents have shared with us that the way you facilitate these things can make a big impact on how your teen thinks about their independence.

The teenage years are when young people begin to master the skills that will enable them to be fully independent in adulthood. As parents, we need to encourage independence in our teenagers, while keeping them safe and supported. We'll look at ways to encourage your child to be confident, independent and responsible. This will include setting boundaries, earning trust, effective decision making, encouraging responsibility, time management and how you as a parent can learn to let go in a way that's comfortable for you.

Too much independence too soon? Smiley LOL
62739267578bfe1b46d62e9e2c81fa24

Join us right here Wednesday 29th June and we'll unlock this thread at 8pm to talk about all this and more with other parents...

Accepted Solutions
Super frequent scribe
AmyJay
Solution

Re: 29 Jun: Nurturing independence in teens

Always good to learn from other parents! Looking forward to meeting you and learning from each other. AmyJay

New member? Let us know what's on your mind by Starting a New Topic here. Or replying to one here.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Looking forward to meeting new parents and learning from each other.

New member? Let us know what's on your mind by Starting a New Topic here. Or replying to one here.

Super frequent scribe
AmyJay
Solution

Always good to learn from other parents! Looking forward to meeting you and learning from each other. AmyJay

Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Hey guys! Thanks for joining us! The chat is about to start with Sophie_RO introducing. If you are here- shout out. Intro yourself. I'll Start- I'm AmyJ, 3 kids, hubbie, cat, dog Smiley Happy

Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Perhaps we can start with Q1: How old are your kids? In what ways are they already independent? Whether it's on the domestic front, or about their school responsibilities; or their confidence with different types of people/situations; or the way they look out for themselves/friends when out and about?

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi guys!!! Welcome to WW! Be sure to check out the community guidelines - they're the backbone of our community and if you need to talk to someone, or it's urgent - click the pink 'Need help now' button up the top....

Tonight it's all about independence... AmyJay's kicked it off with Q1!

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Omg gosh! Such technical issues! Thanks for hanging in there AmyJay!
Active scribe
Tessisme

Hi everyone! I'm new here so nice to talk to you all. My name is Tess, I have one teenage boy, who is in year 10 and a little girl who is 12. I have 1 little puppy and 2 hamsters!
Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

I have 3 kids - an 18 year old boy (his mate is over tonight and they are playing PS4 before seeing a movie-enjoying the last break before HSC study!) a 16 year old girl and a 9 year old boy. Mr18 now has his licence so quite independent. He drove himself to a school study workshop today and we trust him with picking up our younger two kids.

Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Heya Tess, thanks for joining us tonight! I also have a girl in Year 10 and a dog named Toby. Cute! Hamsters! Are they like guinea pigs?