Need help now?

31st May - ReachOut Parents Coaching! All your questions answered.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

31st May - ReachOut Parents Coaching! All your questions answered.

Special Guest
TBS-Coach1

Re: 31st May - ReachOut Parents Coaching! All your questions answered.

@taokat is right. Most of our sessions take 60 minutes, but our first session takes a little longer because we are getting to know about the family situation - it's best to keep 90 minutes aside for this one.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's a great question @GrhRo Do you mean in a service way? As in, can they connect you with more services?

Super star contributor
taokat

@Ngaio-RO my truthful answer is ABSOLUTELY!! We had police here 3 times a week, my house used to damaged and trashed, I've been chased with knives, Poilice applied for an AVO against my daughter.

We are living in a very different home now! No police, she is being schooled, she apologises if she has become upset and treated me badly.

Due to her refusal to engage effectively with her mental health team, changes are because of coaching!

Highlighted
Frequent scribe
GrhRo

exactly

Frequent scribe
GrhRo

@taokat are you saying the mental health service was ineffective?

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains an image

Wow @taokat That is just amazing.  Man, what a huge change. It's mind blowing.

Seriously, when I think about you guys getting through that to what you have now...

sad reactions crying cry spongebob GIF

Special Guest
TBS-Coach1

We know that 1 in 4 teenagers experience a mental health difficulty and 70% do not access support. If they do, most will turn to their parents first.

This does not mean that parents have to have all the answers though … answers can be worked out together. What is important is that we have a strong enough relationship with our teen that they feel they can turn to us as parents in times of need.

As coaches we focus on supporting you to find a way forward.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

So @TBS-Coach1 This is my last question...

We've established that you guys do great work with parents and teens who are dealing with big stuff but what about the other end?

We hear from parents who think coaching isn't for them because they DON'T have big stuff happening. Maybe it's exam stress or some hiccups along the road but basically, they feel like their issues are too small for coaching. is that true?

Frequent scribe
GrhRo

that seems like a very high stat @TBS-Coach1

I would have thought adolescents would turn to their friends or siblings first

Super star contributor
taokat

@Ngaio-RO when I think back to times we have had, it seems pretty unbelievable! And I find it mindblowing as well! But I don't share for pity, I really just want others to see that you can get through these horrible, horrible times. And I have my own mental health issues, so I know that if we can do it, others can too!

And @GrhRo, sadly the mental health team hasn't been of much help. Not through lack of trying, but through lack of participation on my daughter's behalf. Even so, we are where we are today Smiley Happy