Need help now?

November 15th - Wednesday Wrap - ReachOut Coaching - Part Two!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

November 15th - Wednesday Wrap - ReachOut Coaching - Part Two!

Highlighted
Super star contributor
taokat

Re: November 15th - Wednesday Wrap - ReachOut Coaching - Part Two!

@Sophi-RO I'm sure you'll answer the question about Is it counselling too, but I would say it's not counselling. We had a brief chat for the coach to get an idea about the family and where we were at and the issues we wanted help with, but we didn't really go into even my daughter's issues - it's was learning techniques for creating a better relationship with my daughter and communicating effectively. We didn't go into the psychology behind it all.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Goleby Welcome!! So glad to have you.

It's just a matter of clicking here and then following the instructions!

You just need to be in Australia.

You've arrived at a perfect time to find out more about it. Please feel free to ask any questions you have.

Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Message contains an image

So hopefully this image might explain it a little bit too - but a coach is not a counselor: instead of focusing on the problem, they focus on the solution and the way forward. It's very practical and action/future focused. 

The coach is aiming to work in partnership with you, clarify what you want, what’s working and what's getting in the way. The coach will ask the right questions that will help you come up with solutions that will work for your family, and make a plan to move forward. Along the way, the coach will provide effective parenting tools.

So essentially, the focus is not on the problem, but on the solution.

CoachingCoaching

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @Goleby, lovely to have you here!

Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Yes @taokat, that's a great way to describe it.

Welcome @Goleby! Glad to have you here - if you have any questions as you sign up for coaching let us know here!
Super star contributor
taokat

Perfect explanation @Sophi-RO!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That makes so much sense @Sophi-RO and it says a lot that it resonates with you @taokat considering you've done it.

So the next most common question I get is regarding the teenager being willing to engage.  Does that need to happen for the coaching to continue?

If My teenager wants nothing to do with this, does that matter?

Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Message contains an image

Thanks @taokat, we also use the "GROW" model of coaching if anyone wants to research that more...

GROW-classic-coaching-questions

Active scribe
Goleby

Thank you for kind welcome, I have 15yr old daughter who has just been diagnosed with high anxiety and a 17yr old son who loathes school and dropped out a couple weeks ago and lacks motivation and we think he too has anxiety but won't admit it even though he has seen counsellor a few times. Just looking for ideas to be able to help them both.

Mariamum
Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

So the question is, If my teenager wants nothing to do with this, does that matter?

So no, that doesn't matter! In fact that's kinda how the program is designed... It focused on you, the parent. If you wanted to though, there is no harm in suggesting our youth service to your teenager (reachout.com), so they can have a look for themselvesat info, videos, podcasts, forums, apps & tools...