Need help now?

I can't stand my boyfriends son

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Stepmom30

I can't stand my boyfriends son

I have been with my boyfriend for just over 2 years. He has a 7 year old son who I can't stand to be around. My boyfriend has his son every weekend.
At the beginning everything was OK, we went for walks together, went to the park etc but as time has gone on I'm feeling like I'm finding it harder to be around him.
There was a while he treated me like crap, saying things like 'you' re not part of this family, I wish we didn't invite you on our day out'. And he was sneaky to say these things when my boyfriend was out of ear shot! So since then I have just had this grudge against him.
I'm sick of me and my boyfriend never having time to ourselves at the weekends, I work 2 jobs and can't even look forward to my weekend because I know I have to spend it with his son.
We have just moved in together and I hate him being in my house. My boyfriend always met his ex halfway to drop off his child but now we've moved in together she has called at our house to collect her son which I hate the thought that she's in my god **bleep** house (I have only met her once because I want and need that separation). I don't want anything to do with her, and I hate that there is always other people in our relationship. I have to listen to my boyfriends parents talk about her etc and it really angers me!! I just don't know what to do because I love my boyfriend and want to be with him but I'm miserable
Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: I can't stand my boyfriends son

Message contains a hyperlink

Hello @Stepmom30 , I'm sorry to hear about the current situation that you are in. It sounds like things are really tough for you at the moment and that you are feeling uncomfortable around your boyfriend's son. Being in a blended family and managing different relationships can be really difficult at times.

You mentioned that your boyfriend's son had said some things to you whilst your boyfriend was not present, have you had the chance to speak with your boyfriend about what was said? It sounds like things are a bit intense for you, I'm just wondering if there is anyone that you feel comfortable talking to about what you have been going through? It looks like you're in the UK, is that right? We are an Australian service so unfortunately our local support options won't be suitable - I did find this service that looks like it could be useful if you ever feel like it would help to talk to someone. 

I also just wanted to link you to some threads from other users who were in similar situations as you might find some of the suggestions or comments to be helpful Smiley Happy. Here and here are some threads to read.