Need help now?

Single motherhood very isolating

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
CatMaman

Single motherhood very isolating

Hi as a single mother of a teenager daughter (and a carer) I am wondering if anyone else feels isolated?
Sometimes it seems as if I wont ever get out and have fun again (go to the movies or out for dinner etc)
Is there any social support groups out there?
Thanks in advance
Community Manager
Lily_RO

Re: Single motherhood very isolating

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @CatMaman , welcome to the ReachOut community! It’s wonderful to have you here Smiley Happy

Thank you for opening up about your situation. Being a single mother and caring for a teenage daughter is an enormous responsibility, and it's completely understandable that you feel isolated at times. I’m really glad that you’re taking the steps to reach out for support, your well-being matters just as much as your daughters. 

I want you to know that you're not alone in feeling this way. Many other parents in similar situations also struggle with isolation and longing for social connection and a break from their responsibilities, like going out for dinners or movies. I hope you are able to connect with such parents and carers here in these forums. 

Seeking out support groups or communities is an excellent idea. They can be a great way of connecting with others who truly understand your experiences. Carers gateway might be a good option for finding peer support groups in your local community, and you could also explore their online community. Additionally, it might also be worth searching for local support groups on platforms like Facebook. Sometimes you can stumble upon informal support groups initiated by members of your community.

I was also wondering if you have any current supports for yourself at the moment, whether that be a family member, friend, or mental health professional? Are there any coping strategies that have helped you get through moments of isolation?

We'd love for you to keep us updated about your experience in finding a support group. And please remember, you're always welcome to reach out for support here whenever you need it. You're not alone on this journey.