Need help now?

Teen doesn’t love me

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Kevadiep

Teen doesn’t love me

My 16year old (nearly 17) had just told my husband & myself she doesn’t love us & that’s why she’s been treating us so poorly. She doesn’t know why & she’s tried to love us but she doesn’t. I’m so heartbroken. What can I do?
Community Manager
Bailey_RO

Re: Teen doesn’t love me

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Kevadiep 

Welcome to the ReachOut Parents forum! 

I am sorry to hear that your daughter has told you and your husband this, it is very understandable how heartbreaking that must have been for you both to hear. I am really glad that you have found us and have reached out for some support. 

I was wondering if you felt comfortable sharing more about this with us

Has your daughter ever said something like this to you before? 

I was also curious about whether you might be aware of something else that might be going on in her life or if you have noticed anything different about her lately? 

It is understandably something very different to hear as a parent, and it is very common for young people to say things in the heat of the moment that they don't mean. I was wondering if you have considered talking to her about what she has said and where this might be coming from. If you think it might be helpful, we have an article here on communication with teenagers that you could have a look through.

Take care tonight and we hope to hear from you soon.