Need help now?

14 year old son not wanting to come home

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
ELOFF

my 14 year old son has now decided that he is going to tell us when he will come home. He has a good friend who is a girl and he has recently slept over there. He now has told us that he will stay there during the week and come home on weekends.

We trust the people that he is with and we know them, but is it right or ok for my son not wanting to come home like this? He has just started grade 8 in a new school but he has now decided that home isn't where he wants to be, we all live together me and his father are still together, his father is livid and just wants to go fetch him.

What do I do?

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: 14 year old son not wanting to come home

Hi @ELOFF,

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're in a really difficult situation with your son. Whether it is right or okay is up to you and your partner as every family is different. Are you aware as to why your son wants to stay there during the week? It might be helpful to ask for his perspective to have a better understanding of the situation so that you can tailor your approach accordingly. Whatever approach you choose, we'd encourage you to consider whether that approach would be beneficial or harmful to the situation.