Need help now?

Daughter with Anxiety and Depression

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Miscusthecat

Hello,

I have a daughter with diagnosed anxiety and depression.  She is on medication which is helping somewhat.  I believe some CBT with a psychologist would be very beneficial alongside the medication but in her words "I hate talking to people".  My daughter does not suffer fools and is quite a bright young lady.  She has tried two physiologists in the past and although they were lovely, were not the right fit.  The only take away my daughter got, was that the sessions took up too much of her time and what they were saying/suggesting were things she already knew about.  

Any suggestions on how to navigate, suggesting to her to try another psychologist that has been recommended by a friend, but without resistance from my daughter?

Thanks for helping.

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: Daughter with Anxiety and Depression

Hi @Miscusthecat, thanks for sharing. It is common for people to try a few psychologists before they find one that is the right fit for them. A lot of people describe it as a trial and error process. It is important to remember that finding the right fit is one of the most important things about a theurapeutic relationship. It is also important that if you aren't finding the suggestions to be helpful to let the psychologist know. Everyone is at different stages - it could be the first time they have heard that suggestion or it could be the 100th time. Some people like certain strategies while others might prefer something else instead. Sometimes there isn't a way to know if it is working, unless the person says so. Understandably, it can be difficult for young people to assert themselves in these situations. Are these points something that you have discussed with your daughter? We are here to listen, so please feel welcome to share your thoughts Heart
Casual scribe
Miscusthecat

Thank you @Taylor-RO for taking the time out to reply. It's nice to know there are others out there listening.

Yes, all those points you mentioned, are things I have spoken to my daughter already over time, and I agree 100% with everything you've said.  I'm thinking I should wait for the 'right' time and make a gentle suggestion again that perhaps a different psychologist may be worth trying out ... I find it difficult knowing how to answer well, the, 'I hate talking to people' comment that regularly comes up, not only in the therapy context but just in her life in general (as in the deep stuff, not superficial chit chat).

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

You are most welcome @Miscusthecat! That is what we are here for.

So glad to hear that you have already mentioned these things to your daughter. I am not sure how old she is but adolescents can really struggle with opening up. I agree with your approach of being gentle and subtle. You could also have times where you explore why she hates talking to people and validating whatever is popping up for her. Then other times, as you mentioned, gently suggesting a different psychologist at the right time. It can be hard to hear this as a parent, but sometimes there isn't much else you can do except to wait for them to be ready to open up. As long as you are supportive, ready to listen, there for them, validating and non-judgemental then you are doing all that you can possibly do Heart