Need help now?

My 14 age daughter self harm

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Headachemum

My daughter has self harm. What can I do? She is unwilling to talk to professional.
So stressed😞
Prolific scribe
Iona_RO

Re: My 14 age daughter self harm

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Headachemum 

I'm so glad you reached out for some support around this. Finding out that your teen is self-harming can be really distressing, so I can totally understand that you would be feeling stressed. 

I'm wondering if your daughter is currently safe? If she ever needs any immediate medical attention, you can always call 000.

It's really great that you are aware of the self-harm, is this something your daughter has been able to talk to you about? We have a few articles that explain what self-harm is and ways to support your teen with it, that might be helpful to have a look over. 

Scribe
AmyJane

Hi, mine too. I am trying to get an appointment at Headspace for them.

Prolific scribe
Courtney-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @AmyJane and welcome to our online community!

I am sorry to hear that you are currently in the same situation, I can only imagine how hurt and shocked you must be feeling right now. I can hear just how much you care about your child and want the best for them, so I just want to say well done for reaching out for additional support.

I was just wondering if you have spoken to them about this at all, or know what might be causing this? I am also wondering what other supports you both have in place at the moment? Would you feel comfortable talking to your GP about this at all?

If you are interested in having a bit of a read, The Raising Children's Network have a great article on Self-Harm and things that you can do to help support your teen. The article also mentions seeking supports and how to look after yourself too.

I just want to remind you that you are important too, so don't forget to take care of yourself during such a stressful time.