Need help now?

parenting teen with depression, anxiety

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Zeus27

My 15-year-old son is currently battling depression and anger.  His anger is under control, however, the depression is still there.  The root of the problem is that his father has been in and out of the picture since our divorce (my son was 6 years old at the time of the divorce).  His father started a new family and my son is now invisible to his father.  His father treats my son as if he is just a friend (he is not loving, ignores him and doesn't acknowledge my son ).  My son recently got into a huge argument with his father, they have not spoken in 2 months.  I am not sure if they ever will but it's killing me inside to see how his father is not showing any concern.  He has not called or texted my son to see if my son is doing okay.  His father is non-existent at this point. I am not sure how to handle this situation at this point.  I was considering on having a talk with his father but his father is ignoring my calls and texts.  I am lost.

Active scribe
mariajanes

Re: parenting teen with depression, anxiety

You should assign him some short term goals to divert his mind. And after completion, you should give some prizes to him. And side by side encourage him to join gym and other physical activiites. It would divert his mind and hence helping in come out of depression. A lot of apps are also available in the app store to track all these things if you find it not feasible.