Need help now?

Neurodiverse runners

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
dad-of-4-nd

Neurodiverse runners

Hello
I am a father of 4 (15,8,4,4) neurodiverse daughters, and just seeking a bit of advice.
I do the school drop off's and pick ups, and the current issue is with the kinder pick ups.
I manage them myself, at 2pm, but lately my twins have started running out of the centre, and will not stop when asked. It results in upwards of an hour of them running up and down the hill the kinder is situated on, and then lately they've been going further into the school next door.
I can't keep up with them, as usually one will run off, and the other will stay behind and refuse to follow. So the fear is that what ever I do, one is alone/running off.
Theyre diagnosed with autism, and have delayed speech. They refuse to follow instructions, and if I try to take their hand or even pick them up, it results in meltdowns.

I want them to be able to explore the world, but I also want them to be able to do it in a safe manner, and currently, that is not the case.

I've tried quite alot of ways to make it as safe as possible, but now they're running further, and faster, and quite often in opposite directions.

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice, or tips that they have tried that has worked for them?
Or advice on how to teach these girls to be more safe?

In terms of family, or friend support, we don't have any unfortunately.
And we've tried asking the kinder teachers for help, but they have a classroom to care for, and that won't always be an option.
So I'm looking for ways that I can try myself to basically be a better dad.
Further info, the twins are picked up at 2, and the older girls are picked up at 3, so there is the constant pressure of a time frame to keep to.
My wife works during the day, and is unavailable to help, but does when she can.
Mod
Zig_RO

Re: Neurodiverse runners

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @dad-of-4-nd ,

I want to start by thanking you for this post, it can be a very challenging thing to do especially when posting about family. You should be so proud of yourself and i can see that you care so deeply for the well-being of your family, it’s so amazing to see Smiley Happy

From what i can see, you have disclosed that your daughters have been diagnosed with Autism and Delayed speech, Im wondering if you have reached out for professional support around this, if so I'm wondering if they might have some insight into how you can be supported on this journey?

I also wanted to provide you with a link to The Raising children's Network who might be able to provide further support and advice on this current experience.

Again i want to thank you for your post you should be very proud of the care you’ve shown and the steps you’re putting in place for yourself as well as your family. Smiley Happy