Need help now?

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Employable

Hi Reach Out Community

I stumbled across Reach Out on a web search as I have been trying to understand how to make the young people I look after more employable.  I've been involved with a range of social enterprises but have been in a season where I am working directly 1-1 (gone right to the messy source) in an effort to understand their challenges and obstacles.  While the guys I look after are high functioning, I'm surprised that the leap to employment is so difficult in a high demand employment season.  I must say I am a little underwhelmed by the employment agencies.  So I am working on how to find remedies and strategies for my young people while listening to the challenges other parents and carer's face.  Reach out seemed like a good space to listen and share.

Prolific scribe
Iona_RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Employable 

Thanks for reaching out for some support with this. So we can better understand what kind of support you are looking for, I'm wondering if you are the parent or primary carer for these young people? Or is this something you support young people with as part of your job?

We have quite a few articles on work, finances and the future that might be a useful read for you in the meantime.

Casual scribe
Employable

Hi.  I support some young adults with a disability with as part of my role in helping them with independence and employment.  Thanks for referring those articles.  

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Hi @Employable,

Thanks for clarifying. It is great to hear that you are really passionate about supporting young adults with a disability. Unfortunately our forums are for carers/parents of young people. We'd encourage you to get support from your employer or training institution.