Need help now?

My daughter

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
pgilly63
Solved!

My daughter

Hi,

I have had many issues with my daughter 39 too many to mention. bad relationships and marriage including DV. Drug use, bipolar etc. The latest issue besides drug use, bad parenting (her youngest is non- verbal with autism. I have legal custody of her 2 middle boys) and violent temper, is her paranoia, it has reached the next level.

I contacted the mental health dept and the police came before them. In the end nothing was done with her mental health, the police issued a DV against her. 

She trashes her room; smashes stuff, cuts off her hair. She believes people are coming in our house taking and damaging her stuff. She gets so angry when we tell her no one has been in her room.

She believes the father of her last baby isn't really him. He was originally but some else is pretending to be him. She thinks her eldest son's girlfriend is a murderer. She smashes and burns her phones as she thinks someone is hacking them. She burns clothing and shoes because she says they are stolen.

She believes people talk about her and accuses family of lying which just escalates her to a violent outburst swearing and smashing things. There is so many more incidents.  I have suggested to go for help, but she says there is nothing wrong with her and people are trying to make her mental.

I just don't know what to do

Thanks

PG

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Bailey_RO
Solution

Re: My daughter

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @pgilly63 

We want to thank you for being so honest about what you and your family are going through. It sounds like there has been a lot going on for your daughter, and we can hear how hard you have been trying to support your daughter and grandchildren. They are all very lucky to have you!

It sounds like there has been a lot going on with your daughter and her paranoia has recently reached the next level. This must be very concerning and challenging for you to be managing. It also must be difficult when she has concerns that her family is lying. It sounds like you have tried suggesting for her to get help, but that she says there is nothing wrong with her.
This is a lot to be dealing with and it is very understandable that you are unsure about what to do. I was wondering how you are coping with this all and if you have any supports for yourself whether it be a friend, family member, GP or mental health professional?

I was also wondering about how your grandchildren are coping with all of this and if they have any other supports? I can hear how much you care about them and are doing everything you can to protect and care for them.
I wanted to share the service Arafmi with you, they provide support and education services to people with mental health support needs, their families and carers. They have some more information on their website here.
I also wanted to share 1800Respect with you which is the National Domestic Family and sexual violence counselling service. They have a range of safety planning resources and tools on their website which may be helpful to have a look through. You can also call them to speak to a trained counsellor over the phone about any concerns that you may be having. It is a free service available 24/7 and you can call them on 1800 737 732 or you can speak to someone online through their webchat service.

As this is a lot to be managing, I was also wondering if you have any strategies or if you are doing anything for your own self-care? It’s important that you are also taking time for yourself to take care of you and your own wellbeing.
I want to thank you again for your honesty in sharing this with us. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for support and you should be proud of yourself for taking that step.

Take care and I hope to hear back from you soon.
Also, we have sent you an email to check in. Could you please keep an eye out for that?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Community Manager
Bailey_RO
Solution

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @pgilly63 

We want to thank you for being so honest about what you and your family are going through. It sounds like there has been a lot going on for your daughter, and we can hear how hard you have been trying to support your daughter and grandchildren. They are all very lucky to have you!

It sounds like there has been a lot going on with your daughter and her paranoia has recently reached the next level. This must be very concerning and challenging for you to be managing. It also must be difficult when she has concerns that her family is lying. It sounds like you have tried suggesting for her to get help, but that she says there is nothing wrong with her.
This is a lot to be dealing with and it is very understandable that you are unsure about what to do. I was wondering how you are coping with this all and if you have any supports for yourself whether it be a friend, family member, GP or mental health professional?

I was also wondering about how your grandchildren are coping with all of this and if they have any other supports? I can hear how much you care about them and are doing everything you can to protect and care for them.
I wanted to share the service Arafmi with you, they provide support and education services to people with mental health support needs, their families and carers. They have some more information on their website here.
I also wanted to share 1800Respect with you which is the National Domestic Family and sexual violence counselling service. They have a range of safety planning resources and tools on their website which may be helpful to have a look through. You can also call them to speak to a trained counsellor over the phone about any concerns that you may be having. It is a free service available 24/7 and you can call them on 1800 737 732 or you can speak to someone online through their webchat service.

As this is a lot to be managing, I was also wondering if you have any strategies or if you are doing anything for your own self-care? It’s important that you are also taking time for yourself to take care of you and your own wellbeing.
I want to thank you again for your honesty in sharing this with us. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for support and you should be proud of yourself for taking that step.

Take care and I hope to hear back from you soon.
Also, we have sent you an email to check in. Could you please keep an eye out for that?

Casual scribe
pgilly63

Thank you so much for the feedback and the contacts I will use these services.

Thanks again