Need help now?

My daughter and her dad are so mean to each other

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
BonnieMum

Hey there everyone

I am pretty much at a loss and struggling not to sink any lower into my depression. My Miss17 is just awful and blames everything on her dad (my husband). He is stubborn and set in his ways so it makes the situation much worse. There is a blow up at our house at least once a week. It cuts me to my core. I try talking to Miss17 about it and I try talking to her dad about it but I just seem to make things worse. Sometimes I think that my daughter and I should just move out and find somewhere else to live together. Her older brother is also hurting at some of the things she says about her dad (and me). There is so much more to this situation but honestly I am so exhausted from it all that I don't even have the energy to write much more. I don't actually think anyone can help me but maybe putting this out there will do something. Sorry everyone. I am really not in a good way.

Mod
Marimo-RO

Re: My daughter and her dad are so mean to each other

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @BonnieMum ,

Welcome to the forums! Thank you for being courageous and sharing your concerns. I'm sorry to hear that your daughter and husband have been fighting. It sounds extremely draining to have to come in between two fighting family members and it can be even more distressing to see it impact your family.

Given everything that has been happening for you, I'm wondering what you have been doing to cope during this time?

I can see that this experience has been affecting you deeply and it's important to remember to take care of yourself. If you would like some one-on-one support, ReachOut has a free parent coaching service that can provide phone-based or online assistance in supporting your children. Additionally, Parentline is another great service for parents to get confidential and qualified counselling.

I can also see that your daughter may be having a tough time too. Does your daughter have any professional support? If she is open to it, Headspace can provide free counselling and advice on mental health and wellbeing for young people. 

I look forward to hearing from you soon.