Need help now?

A mum knows

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Redpippa

A mum knows

I know my son has been taking drugs. I have some small bits of evidence, info from his younger brothers and a mothers gut instinct. I know he will get angry and defensive when I confront him but I need to find a way to help him. How do I approach the discussion? I can’t sleep at night worriabout how bad it might be

Mod
Stormy-RO

Re: A mum knows

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Redpippa 

Thank you for coming online and sharing your situation with us. I hear your concern and anxiety about having evidence that your son is taking drugs and how to have this conversation with him. It's hard when you know he will get angry and defensive but the fact you have his best interests at heart is so important. 

I wanted to link you to an article we have on how to talk about drugs with your teenager. It's an exploration-based approach which may help to make the situation less confronting for your son. Some other articles which may help are this one on effective communication and what to do if your teen has a drug problem. Once you start the conversation it may be easier to understand where your son is coming from and what you can do to help.

I'm sorry to hear that your anxiety has been affecting your ability to sleep at night. Have you been able to talk to a trusted friend or family member about this situation? Another resource that might be helpful for you is headspace, which offers support for family members of young people, including the option to talk to a clinician over the phone. Your son could also use them if he wanted to.

This is a situation which many parents go through, and you don't have to face it alone.