Need help now?

Odd Behavior (nsfw?)

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
Substitute

Odd Behavior (nsfw?)

Hello, my 12-year old has a habit of looking up wedgies. I don't know what this means. Forbid but could it be something sexual or what? She constantly searches it up whether on YouTube or Discord (which we've had to ban) because as this is a fetish for some, looking it up can and has led her to some dangerous areas. To add on she's giving herself wedgies to the point where we're going through underwear for her as she stretches them until they rip, and she's even going for the older girls' clothes (which as you can imagine can spark tension). I've spotted some dangerous behaviors associated with this which can seriously cause big trouble but don't know where to even start. Telling her not to or asking why she does it lead to blank lines. As she does have ADHD my heart gives at the slight possibility that this could be a sensory thing, and if so, how to redirect it?? I know she's a growing kid exploring new feelings and all but like I said, continuing to interact with this interest can and HAS led to dangerous circles, inappropriate conduct that can lead to huge consequences and inappropriate content. 18+ stuff which will of course lead to contact with 18+ unsavory individuals. Of course the most obvious option is to have her see a professional but 1., we dont have the money or time for regular appointments and 2., the nature of this topic and her also being at such a young age I dont know how I feel about her discussing this with a stranger just yet. So I'm doing it in her stead. So question: What reasons could my 12 year old be obsessed with wedgies? How can we redirect this behavior? Any response is appreciated.
Super frequent scribe
Dem--RO

Re: Odd Behavior (nsfw?)

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Substitute and welcome to the Parents Forum.

I understand your concern for your daughter, this must be very difficult for you to have to deal with, and I can see that you're doing your best to try to resolve the situation yourself.

Given that you have mentioned about your daughter having ADHD, does she have any professional supports already in place that you could discuss this with to check about the possibility of this being related to a sensory issue?

If not, does your daughter's school have a counsellor available that you can both talk to about this, or if you're not comfortable disclosing all of the information regarding this issue to her school counsellor, are you able to ask them to point you in the right direction for professional services just saying that you have concern's about your child's behaviour?

As we are an Australian-based service, here is a list of international services if you need help locating a resource in your local area.