Need help now?

In person support groups

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Chickenfan

In person support groups

Hi there,

I am new to the Reach Out forums, but I was wondering if anyone was aware of in person support groups out there? I'm based in Victoria and my biggest struggle with managing my very difficult teen is the isolation I feel from society. Most of my parenting peers are in very different situations to mine and it's getting harder to relate. 

I am aware that online forums such as this are supportive, but I really would like some face to face interactions with local parents to help build up a better support network for myself. 

Any suggestions about groups around? Thanks

Community Manager
Erin_RO

Re: In person support groups

Message contains a hyperlink
Hi @Chickenfan, welcome to the ReachOut community! It's great to have you here.

It's completely understandable that you're seeking in-person support, especially when faced with the unique challenges of navigating a teenager's challenging behaviour. Your proactive approach to building a local support network with parents in similar situations is truly commendable!
Here are a couple of resources that might help you find support groups for parents in your local area:
  • Family and Child Connect can connect you with appropriate support services and may have more specific information about support groups in your local area.
  • Victoria’s DFFS services offer the Strengthening Parent Support Program is designed to assist parents in connecting with other families and local communities through peer support groups and other programs.
Given the prevalence of connections through social media these days, you might also want to consider searching for local parent support groups on platforms like Facebook. Many groups organise meet-ups, and you may even consider starting your own peer support group if the need arises.

I hope you find the support and connection you're looking for. If you have any more questions or want to share anything on your mind, please reach out!
Active scribe
CatMaman

Re: In person support groups

Hi Chickenfan,

I just saw your post, even though its a year ago - I think there needs to be more in person support groups too,
I feel pretty isolated as well, so hope you were able to find something

All the best
Catmaman 🙂