Need help now?

Help I don’t know what to do

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Help I don’t know what to do


Help I don’t know what to do

I have been divorced from my ex husband since my daughter was almost 2 she is now 11 and through my relationship with her dad and after I experienced domestic violence to the point where he wore me down in every way possible. He always controlled everything I did after we divorced and used my child against me to the extent of the end of last year turned my child against me, made it hard for me to see her because of threats and intimidation. Recently I found out he had outstanding drug charges and and being questioned from police for sending sexual explicit content to a 15 year old girl. Once I had this information I picked up my daughter from school, after he found out I did that he threatened to come to my house and destroy me, the police put an order on him straight away that protects me and my child as he has other orders against him from the wife after me and the one after her for the same behaviour all of us have suffered.. Two days later I got served with a recovery order for risk to the child. Ummm I have a clean slate never been in trouble I go to work and go home. He has made sure I can’t get legal help in my town as all the legal aid lawyers are a conflict of interest. I have to file an affidavit by 1pm tomorrow and have court on Tuesday. I can’t get represented because no one can do anything in time and I can’t afford another lawyer. They are now telling me to represent myself. How do I even manage to do this. I’m sooo scared as she can’t go back there so I don’t know what to do please help xx

Re: Help I don’t know what to do

Message contains a hyperlink

@Fightingback  I’m so sorry to hear about all you’ve been through in terms of the domestic violence and damage to your relationship with your daughter. It must have been incredibly hard, and I’m in awe of your strength and your desire to protect your child.

It must have been very stressful to be served a recovery order as a result of trying to keep your daughter safe; sadly this isn’t an uncommon situation.


Can I ask if you are linked in with a specialist domestic violence service or caseworker?

If not, I would highly recommend trying to link in with one in your local area as they will be able to offer advice and support that is specific to where you live.

If you need help to find an appropriate service, 1800 RESPECT, Safesteps or the DV Resource Centre should be able to help with advice.


Unfortunately we aren’t able to offer legal advice, but have you tried contacting services such as the Family Advocacy and Support Service, Women’s Legal Service or a Community Legal Centre?

These services should be able to help with advice on ways forward for you in terms of accessing legal support.


I’m so glad you reached out here on the forums – this is a safe space for you to share your worries so please feel free to post here any time.

Do you have anyone close to you who you can lean on for support right now as well?

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best through this very stressful time.