Need help now?

My daughters battle with depression

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Dafad123

Hi I have a 16 yearold daughter and 10 yearold son.my son was diagnosed with high function Autism two years ago.my daughter has had anexity and depression for 5 years.her depression got pretty bad last year where my husband and I had her in patient to help her.all seemed better after 3 weeks and she came home.then slowly started back in same habits sleeping alot,avodience ect.she has switched meds now she is on her 3rd one and see a theripist weekly to help.she also has a friend teddy which is trans gender that goes to therpy for his own problems.I guess my Dr was texting him when she was upset and all the text are really deppressing.talks about how she tried talking about how she was feeling and I didn't think any thing serious.and that she thinks she should go back in a different hosptail.almost like this friend of hers was telling her she should.and we are not good parents if we don't help her.anyway I got a call from faiths theripist telling me that her friend filed a 51a on us and got an email from his mother telling her theripist that he did what he thought was best for his friend and she screen shot there whole conversation and sent that.I was so upset knowing this when I got off the phone with her Dr.my jaw hit the floor.first the mother should have called me with her concerns second I let this 14 yearold in my home and opened my heart and home to them with no judgement.and third I love my kids I would do everything and anything to help and protect my kids.feelings of hurt and anger now.I talked to my daughter and she knew this kid was going to file a report and she told him not to.but took it very lightly.with her fragile state I didn't push her alot about it.I don't want this kid in contact with her is this wrong of me?how do I solve this?
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Re: My daughters battle with depression

Hi @Dafad123,

Thank you for reaching out to us here- it sounds like this has been a really difficult time for you and your family and my heart is with you all today Heart I'm really sorry to hear what has happened, I can imagine that it would be very overwhelming to find out a report has been made without your knowing and input. 

It looks like you might be joining our forums from outside of Australia. We can't offer legal advice here, but it sounds like speaking to someone who is able to support you around the legal aspect may be helpful. Is there a local service you can speak to and get more information about what this means for you and your family? I know in Australia we have legal aid which is a free service, is there something similar where you are?

You mentioned that your daughter has been in hospital in the last year for her mental health, I can imagine that would have been really hard on your family. Have you got some support (either professionals or personal supporters) for you so you have somewhere you can talk about how you are feeling right now? 

From what I can hear, it sounds like you have really been doing everything you can to support your daughters recovery with keeping her appointments going, monitoring her and making sure she is on her medication. How is your daughter managing the news that her friend filed the report?

Thinking of you today Heart Let us know how you go and if you want us to help you find some supports in your area that can help you through this time Heart

Check out our community activities calendar here
Parent/Carer Community Champion
sunflowermom

Hi @Dafad123

I am sorry to hear your family is going through such a hard chapter.  I am not sure what a 51a is but I hope you have some support around that for you and your family.

I understand how difficult it is as a parent to have a child with depression and anxiety.  My daughter has been hospitalized 4 times this past year. This takes most of my time and energy.   It leaves little for me to give to the rest of the family.  Some days I feel like just putting one foot in front of the other is all I can do.

My heart and support goes out to you.  We are here to listen and please take care of yourself too in this stressful time.

Casual scribe
Dafad123

Thank you for your understanding and support.in Massachusetts a 51a is a report of child abuse or neglect.It is a struggle to help keep my daughter going strong.love her more than anything
Parent/Carer Community Champion
sunflowermom

I understand wanting to keep your daughter strong and support her through her depression. It's so frustrating and painful to know that we can't fix it for them.