Need help now?

My son has been aggressive and violent towards teachers, friends at school or online and to his Mum

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My son has been aggressive and violent towards teachers, friends at school or online and to his Mum

Scribe
Positivechange

My 11 year old feels like he has turned into an angry teen. He doesn’t want to do anything that isn’t gaming. He has not been doing school work. Simply refuses to participate. He struggles and battles to do any activities off screen with me. Even all of his other interests. He is quick to blame everyone else and can’t hold himself accountable even if it is him that may have started an issue. He is swearing very rude words and being aggressive and violent and wrecking things at school and now also at home. I’m a single mum and need help and guidance as he is headed down a very dangerous scary path and just seems like he has given up on morals or listening to reason or trying
Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Iona_RO

Re: My son has been aggressive and violent towards teachers, friends at school or online and to his

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Positivechange 

Thank you for sharing with us and reaching out for some support. It's very understandable that you're feeling concerned about your son's behaviours at the moment, and I imagine it can be quite scary too.

You've mentioned that your son has been aggressive towards teachers - I'm wondering if you have had contact with the school and if they have been able to support you at all?

Anger can be a tough emotion to understand and get to the root off, especially when your son isn't being receptive to spending more quality time with you right now. We have this article that has lots of information on the what, whys and hows of anger in teens that you might find helpful.

Being a single mum is a tough gig at the best of times, so I hope you're able to acknowledge how well you're doing, even when it might not feel like it. Do you have a co-parenting relationship with your son's other parent at all?

I'm going to send you an email too, so watch out for that in your inbox soon.