Need help now?

Not sure what to do

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
GW-QV75

Not sure what to do

My 14 daughter is getting more and more out of control.
She has been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, PTSD and ADD. She self harms and often takes unsafe risks in and out of school.
She refuses to see here psychologist and it’s getting harder to get her to talk to her psychiatrist.
We went to a forensic psychiatrist for a second opinion and he recommended antipsychotics.
Threats to run away, become a prostitute and self harm are racking me with guilt.
I have been told that I am doing everything I can for her but I’m at my wits end.

Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: Not sure what to do

Hello @GW-QV75 , I am sorry to hear about what you are going through as it sounds like you are going through a really hard time. It sounds like you are care a lot about your daughter, and it is nice to see you reaching out to get her some more support. I am sorry to hear that you feel like things are getting out of control. That must be a really hard feeling to experience. It is good that she has been linked in with professionals, but it is a shame that she is not wanting to see them for support. Have you had the chance to talk with your daughter about why it is that she does not want to see them?

You mentioned that your daughter self harms often, do you have any current concerns about her safety? Does she see anyone for support around this? 

Casual scribe
GW-QV75

I have tried to talk to her about why she doesn’t want to see her psychologist but all I get is that the psychologist is not helping her. I have a feeling though it is because the psychologist has kind of called her out on some of her inappropriate behaviour and risk taking.
I am always concerned about her self harming. We have a locked cupboard with everything in it that we think she might use but she has been doing it for a couple of years now 

I try to go through her room and school bag without her knowing because if she has an inkling that I’m doing this she becomes hostile and even more secretive.

Contributor
Sophia-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

That does sounds really tricky @GW-QV75. Sounds like you have been supporting your daughter a lot during these times. It is a shame to hear that you feel like you have to take such big actions to ensure that your daughter is safe. I hope that things get better for you and your daughter soon. Does your daughter receive any support from her psychologist or psychiatrist around her self-harming behaviours?

Sometimes we can find that we can become impacted when caring for others during really challenging times. Have you been able to talk to anyone about what you have been going through and the possible impacts it has had? Parentline is a free and confidential counselling service that you could call to talk to a counsellor about what you are going through Smiley Happy