Need help now?

Parenting

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Sammie

Parenting

I would like help setting boundaries for my teenagers, helping me when they don’t respect me
Active scribe
MAYC-RO

Re: Parenting

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Sammie 

I'm really sorry that you are having to deal with this and that they are not respecting you. That must be incredibly frustrating! This article may be a good starting point for you, as well as Parentline which offers confidential phone counselling to parents in need to support. Navigating the teen years is very tricky and a lot of work and stress, so please know that you're not alone. Are you able to make some time for yourself (however small) to practice some self-care? Heart         

Parent/Carer Community Champion
Birdwings

Re: Parenting

Hi Sammie,

Thank you for joining us at the parent forum. Is this your first time here? I am Mum to an 18 year old son and 16 year old daughter.

In your message, you didn't elaborate on why you feel your teens aren't respecting you and what they're doing which upsets you. I was wondering whether you'd mind sharing a bit more so we might be able to help you a little better?

I jumped on today because I'm trying to work out how to get my kids to contribute more around the house. They actually did a lot more when they were younger and I view this as a form of not respecting us. So, things aren't perfect at my end either. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Birdwings