Need help now?

School or alternative education options

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
Lenny80

Hi,
I live in Melbourne Victoria. I am looking for options for schooling for my 16 year old son,
We have literally tried everything.
He really wants to learn but just can’t get past his social anxiety.
Please help us

Casual scribe
gumleaf

Re: School or alternative education options

Hey Lenny80, it certainly sounds challenging. I'm in Tassie so I don't know what's local in Melbourne. Are there any options to build up your son's social abilities by trying him at a small school for kids with the same challenges? That's all I can offer, sorry. 💚
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Lenny80, thank you so much for posting this question. I am sorry to hear about your son and his difficulties with school and social anxiety. I am wondering if you have talked to a psychologist? If so, have they been able to make any recommendations? I have found a website which mentions flexible learning options and have also Googled 'alternative schools' which reveals some results. Apologies if this is something you have already tried.

Just letting you know that I had to edit some of your location out of your post as our service is intended to be anonymous.

Please feel welcome to keep us updated Heart

Active scribe
Lenny80

Thanks so much for your reply. We have really tried everything. Public mental health service, private, public alternative schools and private.
He really just wants to do his education via distance education and then go on to uni.
He feels he does not need any friends and is happy in his own company.
He has never been bullied has always been a popular and sporty kid when younger.
He is now on double of his anti depressants- hoping this will help
Active scribe
Lenny80

Hi again,
Yes he sees both psychologist and psychiatrist Smiley Happy
Contributor
Sophia-RO

Hello @Lenny80 , sounds like you have been so supportive of your son already by trying out several services and getting him support from various professionals. That is really awesome to hear! You mentioned that your son wants to complete his schooling via distance education, is this something that specific schools offer or is it widely offered? Have you had the chance to chat with your son about why it is that he wants to study this specific way? Depending on his reasons, could there be some room to come to an alternative decision? 

Active scribe
Vocal_74

Hi Lenny80 Smiley Happy
I know how you feel, it's so hard, I'm having the same issue with my 16yr old son.
Please know you're not alone!
I'm looking into open access schooling, but it's not cheap.
I also worry if my son does online schooling then he may feel this is an easy way out & he doesn't need to worry about/work on his social anxiety, which wont help in the future with employment etc. (it's a bit of a double edged sword).
Good luck & please let us know how you go & if you find an option for his education, I'd really love to know, as you may think of something I haven't.
Sending you & your son love & strength as you work through these hard times 🙏❤
Active scribe
Lenny80

Hi
Thank you for your message! Sounds like you’re having the same issues.
We are going down the path of Virtual Learning Vic for 1-2 semesters then maybe Sherbrooke school which is a different approach.
I too felt that online would make him think he can avoid things and not progress but it’s got to the stage where he needs to learn and his anxiety has prevented him doing that for two years.
It’s free too, I haven’t heard of open access schooling, I’ll google it
Active scribe
Vocal_74

Open college may be a SA thing? I too am going to google the places you have suggested & see if SA offers them. Its such a hard decision, I just want what is best for my son, as I am sure you do.
Active scribe
Vocal_74

Hi Lenny80,
How are things going? I am still waiting on my sons school to arrange/enrol my son into open access college, but i have found out about another option you may be interested in. Its called The Inventorium, online schooling open to studens around Australia, just thought I'd let you know incase you are still searching for a way to help you son. 💙