Need help now?

Son having issues with parents seperating

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
helpless2020

HI

I need help for a teenager that has had his parents separate and is not coping emotionally. 

Mum has moved them out of the family home and in with another guy.  Children didn't have time to process anything.  One day dad was there and a few weeks later they moved in with another guy.

Child is not coping at all and very emotional.  Can anyone give some advice on what to do to help this poor kid.    Thank you

Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: Son having issues with parents seperating

Message contains a hyperlink

Hello @helpless2020 thanks for sharing your story. I am sorry to hear about this teenager that has been having trouble coping lately. It is really great to hear that you are supporting them through this.  From what you have described, it sounds like this teenager has been going through a difficult change lately. There are support services available that the teenager can use. Firstly, they can call Kids Helpline for some free, confidential support from a trained professional. There is also the option to webchat with a counsellor if that suits them better. There is also a webchat option provided by eHeadspace, where the teenager can also receive some support from a trained professional if they need it. However, these are not emergency services so if you are worried about the teenager or if they are in an emergency situation or need immediate assistance, it is important that someone contacts mental health services, or calls emergency services on 000. It would also be a good idea to encourage the teenager to have a chat with their school counsellor/psychologist as they would be able to support them through this.

If you would like to talk with a professional about how best to help this teenager, we offer a free one-on-one support service that you can check that out here if you're interested. Hopefully you find these services to be helpful!

Contributor
Bre-RO

Re: Son having issues with parents seperating

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @helpless2020 just wanted to send a message to thank you for looking out for this teen. I thought I'd give you some resources on how to support a young person through separation/divorce here 

I wonder if a school counselor would be helpful at the moment? Might be something to suggest. Let us know how you go, we are here to chat.