Need help now?

Son is lonely

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
60smum

Re: Son is lonely

I had a similar experience. I told my kids that it's unfortunate they only have a small pool of people around them and that in the future it will get better because they will meet people who have similar interest to them when they study/do courses, or get a job or just go and check things out., and thats what happened. I've been mulling it over lately and parents who make friends with other parents can help. The way you interact with others and start a conversation teaches them a lot. I got my boy to try sports and encoraged him to go and find out about his interests. Try sports or other clubs during or after school activities. Ask him what he could do to change the situation too. Always look for positives.
Scribe
Tipani09

Take him out of school. Homeschool. He is 14 he can do most work on his own or go to tafe to study a trade.
The fact he has opened up to you about this is huge.
Scribe
afriend

Have you considered home schooling? Home schooling has evolved with the formation of home school networks and meet ups, so social interactions are available but can be controlled. Tutors or mentors can be used to assist on subjects where he might be struggling.
Also have you asked your son if he is the kind of person he would like to be friends with. A bit challenging I know but this is the question we all need to ask ourselves. Good luck.
Scribe
Sheri

Coming from a culture where extended big families are common, here’s a suggestion - when he comes home from school then do things together with him so he feels less lonely. You can play video games with him, go for walks together, make sure the family spends time together doing anything that works - cooking and eating together,walking, shopping together, going out to eat together , going to the beach etc. Sun, fresh air and walking helps depression. He will feel less lonely if he feels connected and social at home. If u can, get a dog. And if it’s possible, change his school. Take care