Need help now?

Year 11 exam stress

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Casual scribe
posimum06

Year 11 exam stress

My daughter is in year 11 and already stressed about exams.  She said to me the other day she was so worried about her exam in week 8 - we have only just finished week 4!  She goes to bed at 8.30pm everynight and i have to wake her up at about 6.15am and she is still tired.  She said maybe she should get up at 4.30am and try to study.  She also told me the first 2 subjects of the day she feels really tired and sometimes daydreams and can't retain the information.  She eats, is not lacking in iron or anything like that.

On Friday she told her biology teacher told the class they were having a diagnostic test next week which doesn't go towards any marks but if they fail, their parents will be called to discuss them leaving that class.  Is anyone else experiencing this from their teens? Should I contact the school?

Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: Year 11 exam stress

Hello @posimum06 , sorry to hear that your daughter has been stressed out about her exams lately. Completing Year 11 can be quite stressful, so it is understandable that you are concerned about your daughter. From what you have described, it seems like your daughter has been feeling quite anxious about her upcoming exams and tests. It sounds like it might be helpful for you to contact the school and possibly talk to her teachers or a school counsellor about your concerns. They might be able to help you by giving you some strategies that your daughter can use to help her feel less anxious and/or prepare for her exams in a way that eases her anxiety. If you would like, the school counsellor psychologist could also arrange to have a discussion with your daughter about their concerns and could work with your daughter to develop some more coping strategies during these hard times. Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Casual scribe
posimum06

Re: Year 11 exam stress

Thanks that is great advice!