Need help now?

9 Year old to have surgery

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
flash11

9 Year old to have surgery

Hi,
My 9 year old daughter is scheduled to have a frenoctomy ( the skin between her two front teeth that joins to her gum removed) in a few weeks. We have chosen to have this done for her as the gap in her front teeth is very large, about another tooth size.

My concern now is that I am so worried about her going under general anesthetic. I am sick with worry and would never forgive myself if something was to happen to her as we are chosing to have this done.

My younger daughter had surgery for adenoids removed and grommets in and she was completely fine. We have no history of reactions to anesthetic so I don't know why I'm so worried!

Im more worried about the going under than the procedure itself. I keep researching surgery and statistics! I'm close to calling it off!

I would love some advice or other parents stories please as I need to ease my mind.

Thank you

Mum of 2 girls 💗
Star contributor
Janine-RO

Re: 9 Year old to have surgery

Hi @flash11 ,

I can really relate to those feelings - I have 2 kids aged 3 and 11,  and they've both had to have general anesthetics in their lives- my oldest has had around 6 now as she needs to have semi-regular procedures done under a general.  I think some degree of worry is almost impossible to escape as a parent - we will always worry about our kids, and it can be a pretty helpless feeling knowing that they need to go under. 

It sounds like she doesn't have any major risk factors for complications, but do you think having a chat to your surgeon and/ or the anesthetist about your concerns would help to calm your worries a bit? They can give you a good idea about what the level of risk is, and what they do to minimise it. I know in our case I have also been able to be with my kids in the theatre as they were put under, which helped make it a lot less distressing for them, and made me feel like I was doing all I could to comfort them.  One piece of advice that I was given was to remember that our kids do pick up a lot on how we're feeling about something, so the more calm I was able to stay, the better she seemed to cope (this can be really hard to do, I know!). 

Thinking of you -please keep us posted on how you get on Smiley Happy 

Casual scribe
flash11

Hi Janine,
Thank you for your reply. It really does help to speak to other parents that have been through surgery and the worry involved.

I'm sorry your children and yourself have had to go through it so much. It sounds like you have given them wonderful support which I hope to do for my daughter.

I agree that there will always be some level (or a lot 😊) of worry when our children are involved. Thank you for reminding me that she could pick up on my worry. I am trying to get my head around it all and feel ok before I tell her the date she will have it done. I do need to be very strong for her.

My younger daughter got very upset when she had the gas and I had to hold her down kicking and screaming. She came out of it fine with no worries and was a little sick for say an hour then later that day a bystander wouldn't have even known she'd had surgery that day. This may have elevated my anxiety around the anesthetic though.

You are right in that she has no major risk factors that we're aware of and I should be able to be there with her when she goes under.

I have spoken with the surgeons office today and they are going to ask the anethetist to speak to me and help relieve my concerns. My mum also reminded me that her procedure will be quite simple so she shouldn't be under for long. And she will be in good hands 😊

Your message has helped so thank you again.

Kind regards,

Jess

Star contributor
Janine-RO

Hi @flash11 , 

You sound like a wonderful and supportive mum - and I think your mum is spot on, paediatric anaethetists are amazing, and your daughter will be in really good hands. It's great to hear that you'll be able to have a chat with the anaethetist, I hope they'll be able to reassure you as well Smiley Happy 

I can completely  understand how upsetting it can be to see your kids getting really agitated with they first put the gas on - the same thing happened with my daughter the first time she went under, and it was pretty awful to see as a mum. I did take comfort in the fact that she didn't remember a thing about it! And  like your younger daughter mine bounced back really quickly - kids are pretty amazing like that Smiley Happy

Keep us posted on how you get on, glad to hear you're feeling a bit better about it all.