Need help now?

Post VCE decisions

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
TrishaG

Post VCE decisions

My daughter completed VCE last year and was all set to go to Uni. Her enthusiasm has waned of late and she wants to work in a fast food place as a manager. ( she is liking the money) Yes she is an adult and can make her own decisions and yes she says It’s just a ‘gap year’ but I am
struggling to hide MY disappointment that she is not interested in getting a qualification anymore and am doubting that after a year off she will go to uni. Add to that having to deal with the last 3 years of her saying how much she hates working there!
Any tips on how to not impose/show my feelings onto her decisions.
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: Post VCE decisions

Hi @TrishaG,

Thanks for sharing. Your concerns are valid as a parent - many have shared these struggles. It must be so difficult to watch your daughter make choices that you do not agree with. It can cause great concern and worry for their future - as a parent, you just want what is best for them. It is common for teenagers to have a gap year and return to study. As I am sure you know, Year 12 can be really taxing in addition to the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic. A lot of teenagers enrol into courses after high school based on their parents wishes or expectations and some complete the degree and do not use it or drop out to pursue other pathways. So even if it may not seem like it right now, it might be a blessing in disguise.

In regards to not showing your feelings, all you can do is try to support her and focus on the positives of her choices. For example, from what you have mentioned, she appears to have an interest in working and earning money, she has a plan for her future, she’s willing to take a gap year before studying to refresh herself and she’s willing to take more time to be confident and sure about her decisions. You could also ask if she wants to hear your opinion/advice and then share your concerns in a sensitive and helpful manner. That way, she can consider your input without feeling like you are trying to tell her what to do.

What do you think? Please feel free to share your thoughts Heart