Need help now?

lack of interest in school

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Casual scribe
wallaby52
Solved!

lack of interest in school

My son ( 15 yrs turning 16 yrs) is a great person.

He helps out with home chores, has a part time job and loves basketball. What frustrates me is he shows no interest in reading. No magazines, newspapers, comics.... only his chats from his friends online. I know he can read, he is in Year 10. 

I'd like to know if other parents have the same experience? 

Accepted Solutions
Prolific scribe
Blake-RO
Solution

Re: lack of interest in school

Hey @wallaby52 

Welcome to the Online Community!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

It sounds like you have some concerns and frustrations around your son’s lack of interest in reading which is understandable. I was wondering if you have spoken to your son about this and raised your concerns?

I was also wondering if you have, or if you would consider reaching out to his school and sharing your concerns with them and whether any of his teachers have noticed anything? The school might be able to provide your son with some more support if needed.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Prolific scribe
Blake-RO
Solution

Hey @wallaby52 

Welcome to the Online Community!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

It sounds like you have some concerns and frustrations around your son’s lack of interest in reading which is understandable. I was wondering if you have spoken to your son about this and raised your concerns?

I was also wondering if you have, or if you would consider reaching out to his school and sharing your concerns with them and whether any of his teachers have noticed anything? The school might be able to provide your son with some more support if needed.

Casual scribe
wallaby52

Hi Natalie, thanks for replying. I haven't spoken with my son about what he thinks. My husband and I seem to just be on his back to read. I think we missed that important first step about speaking to him....

The school doesn't talk about reading for boys. Only one teacher in his primary years said he needed to read more.  In high school the push to read at home isn't there. His teachers haven't said anything to me either.  The Play Station is his favourite past time.