Need help now?

17 year old step son blames parents for everything

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Safetyman_82

Need help and/or advice with my 17-year-old stepson, he’s disrespectful has no respect for authority and blames everyone else for his troubles. Obviously I painted that statement with a white brush because it is far more in depth but I’m just trying to get connected to the right for him with people or parents who have experience similar issues with a child who refuses to listen get in trouble on a regular basis with teachers parents adults in general has no respect for any form of authority to the point where he told his mom that he hates her; because she tries to control his life and his examples of this were her telling him when he had to be home on a school night again he is 17 he still goes to high school and then he has to tell her or myself I’m His step father, Where he is going when he leaves the house in a vehicle that he does not pay insurance on nor did he buy! Well not get a job and when he does get a job he calls off or just doesn’t show up after two or three days. And then yells or gets angry that we won’t give him money to ride around with his friends. So any help would be so greatly appreciated
Q thank you
Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: 17 year old step son blames parents for everything

Message contains a hyperlink

Hello @Safetyman_82! I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you have been having with your step-son. It sounds like you are in a really tough position and that it is hard to manage your step-son when he behaves like this. It also sounds like you care a lot about your step-son and wife and want to support them both as much as you can. I've had a look at some threads from other community members who were in similar positions and thought that you might find reading through the posts and the advice given to be helpful. Here is a link to one and here is a link to another one . 

Sometimes upholding boundaries and the consequences of breaking these boundaries can be a really difficult task. If you ever wanted to talk to someone a bit more about how you might be able to manage this situation  Parentline offers free and confidential counselling for parents. You could also talk to them about how this has been impacting you or any other concerns that you might have about your step-son's behaviour and how to best support him. Hope this helps!