Need help now?

Hi! I'm new

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Jane_Perkin
Solved!

Hi! I'm new

Hi everyone!

I have 16 and 14 years old sons who love to watch Master Chef and cook amazingly delicious food that I never taught. Ha-ha. They just watch and experiment with it themselves.

But as youngsters, I understand that they do have tempers. They would hit each other and that really freaks me out. So I'd just talk to them when their heads are cool.

As a single parent since 2009, I'd love to learn from other parents too how to deal with our techy kid's mood swings. Since they used to update me with their Social Media account password before and now they don't.

Nevertheless, I can say monitoring our teenager's mobile conversations once in a while is the top tip I can give to parents like me.

And the best thing about weekends is going to church and spending time with family.

Have a great day guys!

Accepted Solutions
Super contributor
Taylor-RO
Solution

Re: Hi! I'm new

Hi @Jane_Perkin

Welcome and thank you for sharing! It sounds like you have got some helpful tips to offer others. If you think of any others, please do not hesitate to share Smiley Happy It is great to hear that you have got some ways that you like to spend time with your family as that can make a massive difference. You mentioned that you monitor your teenager's mobile conversations. Have you ever had to confront them about something that you have read? How did that go down?

All the best Heart

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super contributor
Taylor-RO
Solution

Hi @Jane_Perkin

Welcome and thank you for sharing! It sounds like you have got some helpful tips to offer others. If you think of any others, please do not hesitate to share Smiley Happy It is great to hear that you have got some ways that you like to spend time with your family as that can make a massive difference. You mentioned that you monitor your teenager's mobile conversations. Have you ever had to confront them about something that you have read? How did that go down?

All the best Heart
Casual scribe
Jane_Perkin

Thank you @Taylor-RO.

I actually found out before, when my eldest was still 11 years old, that he is chatting with a stranger. A female with a "Delicious Girl" username. I understood that he is just curious but he was very young then. I'm so sorry but I blocked the girl's account. It doesn't matter whether she's a poser or not, I just want my son to stop talking to people like her.

We've talked about it and explained to them the possible bitter consequences of talking to that kind of person. A year after that, he changed his password but I'm confident that he knows the dos & donts on using Social Network platforms.

Now he is already 16 years old and he would still sometimes share with me his cute conversations with his crush. That is if he's in a good mood. Ha-ha

I hope I answered your questions correctly.

Thanks Smiley Very Happy