Need help now?

end-of-life care and 'dying to know day' film on 8 august

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Casual scribe
JJonline81

hey everyone. Thanks for sharing your stories alright.. It has been pretty touching and also confronting to hear what other people are going through on this journey. so it’s a lot to open up about.

So i dunno how to put it into words really but I lost my uncle suddenly when I was in primary school yr4 class, and it was a huge shock for me. its a long time ago now, but its one of those things most of my family doesnt really talk about now including at christmas, family reunions.

There’s a 'dying to know day' film screening for the 8 august which looks good. A documentary is running about end-of-life care. It’s gonna be online in australia with the director and experts answering the people watching.. it is the story which gets me the most as Im the same age as the guy Ethan in this movie

It talks a lot about Ethan who's 36 going through his experience with chemo too young then making all his choices about how he wants his life to be celebrated which is pretty right on.l  JJ

Mod
Marimo-RO

Re: end-of-life care and 'dying to know day' film on 8 august

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @JJonline81,

Welcome to the ReachOut Parents and Carers Community! 

Thank you for your courage in sharing your experience with grief and loss. Losing a loved one at a very young age can be a painful and traumatic event. It sounds like your family has processed their grief in their own way but nonetheless, it can be frustrating to feel unable to talk about your uncle at family gatherings. I'm wondering if you have any supports for yourself to process the grief and loss?

Griefline can provide support and resource on grief and loss, if you are seeking further support.

I'm seeing that you feel connected to the 'Dying to Know Day' documentary with how it tackles themes on palliative care and the commemoration of a person's life after their death. It sounds like watching this film may be a validating experience for you.

I wish you the best moving forward and I hope you continue to find the support you seek here in the community! 

Casual scribe
JJonline81

Re: end-of-life care and 'dying to know day' film on 8 august

Thanks Marimo for replying it means alot. I can chat to my mother about it so that's something.

Cheers for the tip